Alcobendas (Spanish pronunciation: [alkoˈβendas]) is a municipality located in the Community of Madrid, central Spain. It is located roughly 13 kilometres (8 mi) north of Madrid and 7 kilometres (4 mi) from Barajas International Airport. It includes a central urban zone, a recently built district known as Valdelasfuentes, La Moraleja and El Soto de la Moraleja residential zones, the Valdelatas nature reserve and a light industrial estate. A business park called Valdelacasa for high-tech firms is being built. It is the location of a basketball museum organised by the Pedro Ferrándiz Foundation where the FIBA Hall of Fame is located.
|Region||Community of Madrid|
|• Mayor||Rafael Sánchez Acera (2019) (PSOE)|
|• Total||44.98 km2 (17.37 sq mi)|
|Elevation||700 m (2,300 ft)|
|• Density||2,600/km2 (6,700/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Alcobendense or alcobendano|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
28100, 28108, 28109
Alcobendas is in the B1 zone for Madrid's transport network.
Both Alcobendas and its neighbour city, San Sebastián de los Reyes are connected with Madrid with buses operated by the 'Interbús' bus company. There are currently eight bus lines that go to and from different districts of Alcobendas to Plaza de Castilla (the hub for public transport to northern Madrid). Alcobendas also has eight bus lines that connect the different zones of Alcobendas between themselves.
Alcobendas presently has four Metro stations (La Granja, La Moraleja, Marqués de la Valdavia and Manuel de Falla) which are all on line 10 of the Madrid Metro network. These stations were recently opened by Esperanza Aguirre, President of the Autonomous Community of Madrid.
Buses going to and from Plaza de Castilla are:
- 151 Madrid (Pza. Castilla) - Alcobendas (FF.CC)
- 153 Madrid (Pza. Castilla) - Alcobendas (Rosa Luxemburgo)
- 153B a.k.a. B53 Madrid (Pinar de Chamartín) - Alcobendas (Rosa Luxemburgo)
- 155 Madrid (Pza. Castilla) - Alcobendas (El Soto de la Moraleja)
- 155B a.k.a. B55 Madrid (Pza. Castilla) - Alcobendas (El Encinar de los Reyes)
- 157 Madrid (Pza. Castilla) - Alcobendas (Pº de la Chopera)
- 157C a.k.a. C57 Madrid (Pza. Castilla) - Alcobendas (Valdelasfuentes)
- 159 Madrid (Pza. Castilla) - Alcobendas (Arroyo de la Vega)
Buses connecting different parts of Alcobendas are:
- L-1 Arroyo de la Vega - El Soto de la Moraleja - La Moraleja
- L-2 Alcobendas - La Moraleja [via Pº Alcobendas]
- L-3 Arroyo de la Vega - El Soto de la Moraleja - El Encinar de los Reyes
- L-5 San Sebastián de los Reyes - Alcobendas - El Soto de la Moraleja
- L-6 Valdelasfuentes (FF.CC) - Polígono Industrial
- L-9 Alcobendas (FF.CC) - Arroyo de la Vega
Two further circular lines are:
- C10 Valdelasfuentes - Arroyo de la Vega - Valdelasfuentes
- C11 Arroyo de la Vega - Valdelasfuentes - Arroyo de la Vega
Alcobendas also has two suburban railway stations (one shared with San Sebastián de los Reyes):
- Valdelasfuentes and
- Alcobendas-San Sebastián de los Reyes.
This section's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (June 2021)
Alobendas is easily reached by car as well. There are a number of motorways going round Alcobendas and through it. Airport access is perfect with the recently built motorway known as the M-12 which connects the Canillejas district of Madrid with Barajas International Airport and ending up in the Arroyo de la Vega area of Alcobendas
List of motorways and main roads that go through Alcobendas:
- A-1-Autovía del Norte
- R-2-Radial 2 (Madrid-Guadalajara)
- M-50-Autopista M-50
- M-12-Autopista Eje-Aeropuerto
- M-603-Carretera de Fuencarral a Alcobendas
- M-616-Carretera de El Pardo a Alcobendas
The difficulty of parking in Alcobendas varies depending on which district you are parking in. In the Casco district it is challenging to find a parking space. However this problem is not posed in the newer areas where ample parking facilities are available.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2016)
- Penélope Cruz, actress. During the 2009 Academy Awards ceremony, after being awarded Best Supporting Actress, she openly acknowledged the municipality in her acceptance speech.
- Marcos Pérez Jiménez, former Venezuelan dictator. Residence after being exiled from Venezuela where he lived until his death in 2001.
- American singer Bing Crosby died of a heart attack while on a golf course in Alcobendas.
- Alfonso Calderon, activist, survivor of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting
|Climate data for Alcobendas|
|Average high °C (°F)||11
|Average low °C (°F)||1
|Average precipitation days||15||18||21||24||25||21||22||21||22||20||15||17||241|
|Source: Weatherbase |
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alcobendas.|
- Alcobendas (in Spanish)