Albion, Orleans County, New York
Downtown Albion, NY
Location of New York in the United States
|• Supervisor||F. Richard Remley|
|• Total||25.35 sq mi (65.66 km2)|
|• Land||25.26 sq mi (65.42 km2)|
|• Water||0.09 sq mi (0.24 km2)|
|Elevation||600 ft (200 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||328.78/sq mi (126.94/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
The Town of Albion was created in 1875 by the division of the Town of Barre. The population in 1890 was 1,304.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 25.4 square miles (65.7 km²), of which 25.2 square miles (65.3 km²) is land and 0.1 square mile (0.3 km²) (0.47%) is water.
The Erie Canal passes through the town.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 8,468 people, 2,559 households, and 1,564 families residing in the town. There were 2,847 housing units. The racial makeup of the town was 76.3% White, 17.6% Black or African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 2.3% from other races, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.4% of the population.
There were 2,559 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.3% were married couples living together, 15.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.9% were non-families. 31.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.11.
The median income for a household in the town was $39,986.00. About 16.9% of the population were below the poverty line.
As of January 4, 2018, the Town Board membership is as follows:
- Town Supervisor: F. Richard Remley (R).
- Deputy Town Supervisor: Matt Passarell (R).
- Town Councilperson: Jake Olles (D/R).
- Town Councilperson: Darlene Benton (D).
- Town Councilperson: Arnold R. Allen, Jr. (R).
- Town Clerk: Sarah M. Basinait (D/R).
- Town Highway Superintendent: Michael Neidert (D/R).
- Town Justice: Gary Moore (D).
- Town Justice: Joseph Fuller (R).
Former Town of Albion Supervisors include: (R) Matt Passarell (2014–17), (D) Dennis Stirk (2012-13), (I) Judith Koehler (2007–11), (R) Eugene Christopher (1999-07), Edward Sharping (R), Dr. John Fernandez (R), and Arthur Eddy (R).
Communities and locations in the Town of AlbionEdit
- Albion – The Village of Albion, the county seat, is at the junction of NY-31 and NY-98 at the north town line.
- Albion Correctional Facility – A New York prison for women is west of Albion village on NY Route 31.
- Bentons Corners – A former location south of Albion village.
- Eagle Harbor Station – A hamlet west of Albion village.
- Orleans Correctional Facility – A NY state prison.
- Orleans County Sheriff's Office – The headquarters of the county's sheriffs office is located in the town.
- Riches Corners – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 5, 2017.
- "Albion town, Orleans County, New York". census.gov.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Map showing boundaries of Village of Albion and Towns of Albion and Gaines". Wikimapia. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Albion, New York.|