Akeem Jerome King (born August 29, 1992) is an American football cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at San Jose State and was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the seventh round of the 2015 NFL Draft.
With the Seahawks in 2018
|No. 36 – Seattle Seahawks|
|Born:||August 29, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||212 lb (96 kg)|
|High school:||Nipomo (Nipomo, California)|
|College:||San Jose State|
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 7 / Pick: 249|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 2, 2018|
Early life and college playing careerEdit
Born in Visalia, California, King graduated from Nipomo High School in 2010. King lettered in football, track, and basketball at Nipomo High and played three offensive positions (fullback, wide receiver, and tight end) and two defensive positions (cornerback and linebacker). In his senior season, King had 4 touchdowns, 30 tackles, and 2 interceptions. A two-star recruit, King attracted one offer from San Jose State. On January 17, 2010, King signed with San Jose State.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Nipomo, CA||Nipomo HS||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)||190 lb (86 kg)||4.50||Jan 17, 2010|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports:|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 342 (national), 50 (CA), 76 (school) Rivals: 88 (school) 247Sports: 265 (national), 93 (school)|
Initially recruited as a wide receiver in Mike MacIntyre's first recruiting class at San Jose State University, King redshirted his freshman season in 2010, then switched to safety. As a redshirt freshman in 2011, King played the final two games of the season on special teams.
King played all 11 games in the season as a junior in 2013. He began playing as a reserve defensive back in addition to special teams. King had 15 tackles on the season and defended two passes, both in San Jose State's season-ending upset of #16 Fresno State.
King completed his Bachelor of Arts degree in business marketing in May 2014 and was enrolled in San Jose State's Master of Business Administration program for his senior football season. King started all 12 games of 2014. He had 71 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss, and two passes defended. On November 21, King had a career-high 11 tackles against Utah State.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in
|4.41 s||1.59 s||2.61 s||4.38 s||7.08 s||37.5 in
|10 ft 2 in
|Measurables were taken at Pro Day.|
King was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the seventh round, 249th overall, in the 2015 NFL draft. On September 5, 2015, King was waived by the Falcons in the final cuts before the start of the regular season. On September 7, 2015, he was signed to the Falcons' practice squad. On November 6, 2015, he was elevated to the active roster.
On September 3, 2016, King was placed on injured reserve with a foot injury. In the 2016 season, the Falcons reached Super Bowl LI, but King did not get to participate due to his injury. The Falcons fell to the New England Patriots in a 34–28 overtime defeat.
On September 1, 2017, King was waived by the Falcons.
- "Akeem King". San Jose State Spartans. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- "Akeem King-Recruiting".
- "Akeem King-Recruiting".
- "Akeem King Draft Profile". NFL. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- "Akeem King". NFL Draft Scout. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- Bio: Falcons 7th round pick San Jose State cornerback Akeem King
- "Former Nipomo High star Akeem King goes to Atlanta Falcons in NFL Draft". Archived from the original on May 26, 2015. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "Falcons Reach 52-Man Roster". AtlantaFalcons.com. September 5, 2015. Archived from the original on September 14, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Falcons Sign Eight Players to Practice Squad". AtlantaFalcons.com. September 7, 2015. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Falcons Finalize 53-Man Roster For 2016 Season". AtlantaFalcons.com. September 3, 2016. Archived from the original on October 3, 2017.
- "Super Bowl LI - New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons - February 5th, 2017". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- Conway, Kelsey (September 1, 2017). "2017 Atlanta Falcons Roster Cuts Tracker: Deadline To 53 Is 4 P.M. ET On Saturday". AtlantaFalcons.com. Archived from the original on December 30, 2017.
- Drovetto, Tony (September 13, 2017). "Seahawks Make Practice Squad Roster Moves". Seahawks.com.
- "Seahawks Re-Sign Akeem King". NFLTradeRumors. March 16, 2018.
- "Seahawks Set 53-Man Roster". Seahawks.com. September 1, 2018.
- Boyle, John (September 3, 2018). "Seahawks Sign 10 To Practice Squad". Seahawks.com.
- Boyle, John (September 8, 2018). "Earl Thomas Activated & Other Seahawks Roster Moves". Seahawks.com.