Aigio railway station
Aigio railway station (Greek: Σιδηροδρομικός Σταθμός Αιγίου, romanized: Sidirodromikós Stathmós Aigíou) is a train station in Aigio in the northern Peloponnese, Greece. Since June 2020, it is served by trains to and from central Athens and Athens Airport via Kiato. The station is located on the outskirts of Aigio, 2 km from the town's centre.
Aigio railway station, view from the rail overpass near the station.
|Line(s)||Athens Airport–Patras railway|
|Opened||22 June 2020|
Construction was completed several years after the suspension of regional services on the metre-gauge railways of the Peloponnese in 2011. After a series of test runs commencing in April 2019, railway traffic to and from Aigio had been expected to resume in August 2019. However, a series of delays meant that the opening of the section between Aigio and Kiato was postponed until June 2020. Services finally commenced on 22 June 2020. The station is served by Line 5 of Proastiakos Athens, with one train per day to and from Athens, three trains per day to and from Athens Airport and six trains per day to and from Kiato. The trains currently in use between Aigio and Kiato are the Stadler GTW 2/6 diesel multiple units, constructed by Stadler Rail in 2003. The electrification of the section between Aigio and Kiato will allow direct services to and from Athens; in the meantime, passengers must change between diesel and electric trains at Kiato. Travel time between the two stations is 45 minutes for the express service and 53 minutes including minor stops.
The station is equipped with waiting rooms, shelters, toilets and a cafe. There is also a staffed ticket office. Outside of the station there is a big parking lot (free parking). Currently there are no local bus services connecting the station with the centre of Aigio. Road access to the station is provided by two quite narrow paved roads which still need improvement (mainly widening and proper signage).
- "Άνεμο… ανάπτυξης από το τρένο σε κομβική στιγμή για την Αιγιάλεια". Proti tis Aigialeias (in Greek). Aigio. 17 April 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "ΝΕΟΣ ΣΙΔΗΡΟΔΡΟΜΙΚΟΣ ΣΤΑΘΜΟΣ ΑΙΓΙΟ DRONE 17 04 2019". YouTube. 22 April 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "Itineraries Aigio-Airport-Athens-Piraeus" (PDF). TrainOSE. 22 June 2020. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "ΤΡΑΙΝΟΣΕ: Διακοπή δρομολογίων και αύξηση κομίστρων". Naftemporiki (in Greek). Athens. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "Tests launched on Peloponnese northern rail section". Railway PRO. 19 April 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "More Suburban Railway Stops Added to Peloponnese Line". GTP Headlines. 18 April 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- Karagiannis, Nikos (7 May 2020). "Kiato-Aegion railway line to operate in June". Ypodomes.com. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "Kiato-Aigio railway section to re-open on 22/6 after almost ten years". Ypodomes.com. 18 June 2020. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "TRAINOSE ticketing". TrainOSE. Retrieved 16 August 2020.