Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas
Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas (French: Michael Kohlhaas) is a 2013 French-German drama film directed by Arnaud des Pallières based on Heinrich von Kleist's novella Michael Kohlhaas, which again is based on the story of Hans Kohlhase. It was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
|Age of Uprising:|
The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas
|Directed by||Arnaud des Pallières|
|Produced by||Serge Lalou|
|Written by||Christelle Berthevas|
Arnaud des Pallières
|Based on||Michael Kohlhaas|
by Heinrich von Kleist
|Music by||Martin Wheeler|
|Edited by||Sandie Bompar|
Arnaud des Pallières
|Distributed by||Les Films du Losange (France) |
|Box office||$1.9 million|
During the 16th century, horse dealer Michael Kohlhaas is taking his horses to market. As he passes through a local baron's lands, the baron seizes two of his horses, even though the right to extract tolls has been abolished in the country. When Kohlhaas discovers that his loyal servant was attacked by the baron's guard dogs, and that his horses have been injured and abused, he attempts to sue for monetary compensation, but his lawsuit is dismissed because the baron has a kinsman at court. Later, Kohlhaas's wife dies from injuries suffered at the hands of the baron's men.
Kohlhaas leads a revolt to attack the Baron's house and then to induce the authorities to administer satisfactory justice.
- Mads Mikkelsen as Michael Kohlhaas
- Delphine Chuillot as Judith
- Bruno Ganz as the governor
- Paul Bartel as Jérémie
- Mélusine Mayance as Lisbeth
- David Bennent as César
- David Kross as the preacher
- Denis Lavant as the theologist
- Sergi López as the one-armed man
- Roxane Duran as Princess Marguerite de Navarre
- Amira Casar as the abbess
- Swann Arlaud as The Baron
- "Michael Kohlhaas, Looks Film & TV". 5 May 2013. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Age of Uprising". Box Office Mojo. 3 July 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 20 April 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Michael Kohlhaas wins the Golden Iris at the Brussels Film Festival". unifrance.org. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "Berenice Bejo, Lea Seydoux, Roman Polanski Among France's Cesar Awards Nominees". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "France's Cesar Awards: 'Me, Myself and Mum' Wins Best Film". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 March 2014.