Afghan identity card
The Afghan identity card (Tazkira) is a national identity document issued to citizens of Afghanistan. It is proof of identity, citizenship, and permanent residence. Identity documents and passports have been issued in Afghanistan since at least 1880, during the reign of Abdur Rahman Khan.
It was reported in May 2017 that Afghanistan would start issuing e-ID cards (e-Tazkiras) in late 2017. Distribution of said cards began in December 2017, which has been delayed for years. One of the main factors behind the insecurity in Afghanistan has been the lack of e-IDs cards and proper data collection by the government. Citizens of other countries continue to obtain Afghan citizenship through fraud and then use the fraudulent Afghan citizenship to apply for political asylum in the Western world. It is also reported that terrorists from other countries enter Afghanistan with forged Afghan ID cards.
- Nationality (Afghan)
- Document number
- Given name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- National identification number
- Date of issue
- Date of expiry (normally 10 years after the date of issue)
- "Afghanistan: The Afghan identity card called "tazkiras" [taskera], particularly whether the date of issue is stated in the document, the procedures to replace or renew it, and on the differences in its appearance since 1973". Canada: Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. 1 July 1998. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Khwaja Basir Fitri, ed. (May 23, 2017). "Distribution of e-ID cards to start on August 14". Pajhwok Afghan News (PAN). Retrieved 2017-05-24.
- Javed Hamim Kakar, ed. (December 2, 2017). "Technically ready to issue e-ID cards: Telcom Ministry". Pajhwok Afghan News. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- Ghulam Hussain Zakiri, ed. (February 24, 2013). "14m Afghans to get computerised ID cards in a year". Pajhwok Afghan News. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- Storai Karimi; Yousuf Zarifi; Ahmad Shah Erfanyar, eds. (June 20, 2017). "Foreigners easily get Afghan citizenship than Afghans". Pajhwok Afghan News. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Khwaja Basir Ahmad, ed. (October 18, 2015). "Pakistan misusing Afghan ID cards, allege lawmakers". Pajhwok Afghan News. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
- Hassan Khitab, ed. (May 15, 2017). "Abdullah, Danish to supervise distribution of e-ID cards". Pajhwok Afghan News. Retrieved 2017-05-15.