Adverse abandonment

A petition for adverse abandonment is filed by a party other than the owner of a railroad asking a court or a state board to declare the land abandoned by the railroad.[citation needed] Most railroad rights of way are held in easement, so that the land must revert to the original owners if the tracks are removed.[citation needed]