|Born||1984 (age 34–35)|
|Other names||Qari Sahib|
|Known for||Attack on former President General (retd) Pervez Musharraf|
Mastermind of the 2013 Dera Ismail Khan jailbreak
Rashid, an ethnic Pashtun, is a resident of the Chota Lahor area of Swabi district. He joined the Pakistan Air Force as a junior technician in 1997, but was latter dismissed due to his suspicious activities.
Rashid was convicted for an attack on then President General Pervaiz Musharraf in December 2003 and was given the death penalty. However, he was freed, along with 400 other inmates, by Taliban militants when they stormed the Bannu Prison in 2012.
Rashid wrote a letter to teenage education activist Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head by the Taliban, saying that he wished that the attack had not happened, but told her that she was targeted because she speaks against the Taliban.
On 11 July 2014, Adnan Rashid was reportedly captured along with three other militants by Pakistani security forces at his family residence near the town of Wana, South Waziristan. He was said to have fled to the area from North Waziristan after being injured during Operation Zarb-e-Azb. His arrest was confirmed by the TTP in a statement released on 16 July. However, later in July 2014, Reuters reported that Pakistani security officials and Pakistani Taliban commanders denied that Rashid was in custody. One military source described the initial reports of the arrest as a "mixup", while two associates of Rashid said the arrest report had been spread in an attempt to get him to react so that security forces could trace his whereabouts.
- Imran Kazmi (19 April 2012). "Bannu Jail absconder shown with Taliban in a video footage". Dawn. Pakistan. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Ismail Khan (31 July 2013). "Jailbreak: it wasn't an intelligence failure for once". Dawn. Pakistan. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Bannu jailbreak: Police, spy agencies responsible". Zeenews.india.com. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Zahir Shah Sherazi (30 July 2013). "Pakistani Taliban free over 175 inmates in DI Khan jailbreak". Dawn. Pakistan. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Sara Malm (17 July 2013). "Malala Yousafzai: Taliban commander Adnan Rasheed's astonishing letter apologising to Pakistani girl they shot". Daily Mail. Retrieved 22 February 2014.[better source needed]
- Moore, Harriet (16 July 2014). "OSINT Summary: Pakistani security forces detain senior TTP commander". IHS Jane's Terrorism & Insurgency Monitor. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Pakistan officials say al Qaeda trainer, not Taliban militant, arrested". Reuters. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.