Adivi Sesh Sunny Chandra (born 17 December 1985) is an Indian actor, director and screenwriter who primarily works in Telugu-language films. Sesh was born in Hyderabad and was raised in Berkeley, California. He made his film debut as a lead actor and director in 2010 with Karma. Following antagonistic roles in Panjaa (2011), Balupu (2013), and Baahubali: The Beginning (2015), he established himself as a leading actor of Telugu cinema by starring in commercial successes such as Ladies & Gentlemen (2015), Dongaata (2015), Kshanam (2016), Ami Thumi (2017), Goodachari (2018), Evaru (2019), Major (2022), and HIT: The Second Case (2022). His film Kshanam went on to get nominated for numerous awards. Sesh won the IIFA Award, Telugu for the Best Screenplay and the Nandi Award for the Best Screenplay Writer.
Adivi Sesh Sunny Chandra
17 December 1985
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (now Telangana), India
|Alma mater||San Francisco State University|
|Years active||2002– present|
|Family||See Adivi Family|
Adivi Sesh Sunny Chandra was born 17 December 1985 in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (now in Telangana), India. He was raised in Berkeley, California, United States, where he attended Berkeley High School and did his undergraduate studies at San Francisco State University.
Sesh has a sister, who is pursuing medicine in Ireland as of 2020. His cousin, Sai Kiran Adivi, is a film director. Sesh's grand uncle, Adivi Baapiraju, was a novelist, playwright, and freedom fighter. Sesh is a vegetarian.
Sesh debuted as an actor in the film Sontham (2002) in a small guest appearance. He debuted as a director and writer in the 2010 film Karma, which also starred Jade Tailor and Sher Ali. Sesh's portrayal of Dev, a person who can fore-see events mere seconds before they happen, was well appreciated. Rediff praised his performance stating "As far as acting goes, Sesh Adivi does a good job. With an 'angelic' face he is an apt choice to play enigmatic Dev. His scripting skills also deserve mention. He may have chosen an unconventional path and a novel theme but he has tried to infuse something new in Telugu cinema."
In 2011, Sesh appeared in Vishnuvardhan's Panjaa, which starred Pawan Kalyan, Sarah Jane Dias, Anjali Lavania and Jackie Shroff in the lead. In this film, Sesh portrayed the role of Munna, an NRI who is a wealthy spoiled brat and a very dangerous person to those around him. This also marked his debut as a villain. His performance was highly appreciated by critics. Rediff said of his performance, "Sesh Adivi is worth watching for his 'maniacal' performance which is just the opposite of what he did in Karma, his directorial and acting debut." CineGoer.com also praised his performance, saying "Sesh's Karma changes for the good with this film and he is quite a revelation." After this he did movie called Balupu as villain. Then he did movie called Kiss in his direction, the only disaster in his career until now. He did supporting role in Run Raja Run after this he started doing leads again in Ladies & Gentlemen and Dongaata in 2015 then he appeared in S. S. Rajamouli's epic drama Baahubali: The Beginning.
In 2016 Sesh appeared in Kshanam story and screen play written by him along with Ravikanth Perepu director of the film. With this film, Sesh got the attention from the audience and industry. After Kshanam he rejected more than 50 scripts that offered him the lead role. Then he appeared as cameo in Size Zero and Oopiri. He appeared in Ami Thumi comedy film, which was directed by Mohanakrishna Indraganti. His next film, Goodachari, an action thriller released on 3 August 2018 to positive reviews and became a super hit and closed on 6 September at the box office, 33 days after release. The film was written by him and directed by Sashi Kiran Tikka. He next had a special appearance in Oh! Baby, starring Samantha Akkineni. His next film was the 2019 suspense thriller Evaru, written and directed by Venkat Ramji, which was released on 15 August, open to positive reviews, and went on to become a hit film, running for more than 4 weeks in the theatres.
His film Major, a biopic about the life of Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan released on June 3, 2022, and became the biggest success of his career, also making him a PAN India star. In April 2020, Sesh confirmed writing script for Goodachari 2, a sequel to his 2018 spy thriller film Goodachari. Sesh then featured in HIT: The Second Case, which turned out to be a super hit, it is a sequel to the film HIT: The First Case (2020).
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
As an actorEdit
|2014||Run Raja Run||Nayeem Basha|||
|2015||Ladies & Gentlemen||Rahul|||
|Baahubali: The Beginning[a]||Bhadrudu / Bhadra|||
|2018||Goodachari||Gopi / Arjun Kumar|||
|2019||Oh! Baby||Savitri's Husband||Cameo|||
|Evaru||Vikram Vasudev (Fake) / Adarsh Varma|||
|2022||Major[b]||Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan|||
|HIT: The Second Case||Krishna Dev IPS "KD"|||
Other crew positionsEdit
|Kiss||3rd SIIMA Awards||Best Male Debutant||Nominated|||
|Kshanam||Nandi Award||Best Screenplay Writer||Won|||
|2nd IIFA Utsavam||Best Screenplay||Won|||
|Goodachari||Zee Cine Awards Telugu||Best Screenplay||Won|
|Major||Hello Awards||Break through Performance of the year||Won|
- ^ Adivi Sesh is a lucky guy. Deccan Chronicle. 14 May 2015. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- ^ a b c "Happy birthday Adivi Sesh! Here is all you need to know about the underrated Telugu actor". The New Indian Express. 17 December 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2019.
- ^ Adivi Sesh. Caught Off Guard with Adivi Sesh at Annapurna Studios ft. Goodachari (in Telugu). Annapurna Studios. Retrieved 18 September 2018 – via Youtube.
- ^ "Adivi Sesh: I don't want to ride two boats at the same time". Cinema Express. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- ^ "Adivi Sesh conducts Q & A session on Instagram, leaves fans pleased with his answers". Times of India. 6 September 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2021.
- ^ "Karma: Movie Review". Telugu Cinema. Archived from the original on 30 December 2010. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- ^ a b Rajamani, Radhika (29 November 2010). "Karma is for a niche audience". Rediff. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- ^ "Interview with Sesh Adivi". idlebrain.com. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 8 December 2011.
- ^ Rajamani, Radhika (9 December 2011). "Review: Pawan Kalyan's Panjaa lacks power". Rediff. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- ^ "Panjaa Movie Review". CineGoer.com. Archived from the original on 7 January 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- ^ "Adivi Sesh in Rajamouli's Bahubali". The Times of India. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2021.
- ^ "Young hero rejected 50 Scripts". smtv24x7. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 2 August 2018.
- ^ Kumar, Hemanth (8 August 2018). "Adivi Sesh on the success of his film Goodachari and the revival of spy-thrillers in Telugu cinema". Firstpost. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- ^ "Goodachari Worldwide Closing Collections - Super Hit". Telugu360.com. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- ^ Hooli, Sekhar H. (14 August 2018). "Goodachari 10-day box office collection: Adivi Sesh churns out another blockbuster after Kshanam". IB Times. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- ^ "Amid Covid-19 lockdown, actor-writer Adivi Sesh is busy scripting Goodachari 2, editing Major". Hindustan Times. 22 April 2020. Retrieved 29 January 2021.
- ^ "Producer Nani unveils poster of Adivi Sesh starrer 'HIT 2: The Second Case'". The News Minute. 20 March 2021. Retrieved 21 March 2021.
- ^ "గూఢచారి మళ్లీ వస్తున్నాడు.. ఈ సారి పాన్ఇండియా రేంజ్లో". Hindustan Times Telugu. Retrieved 29 December 2022.
- ^ "Sesh bags a role in Pawan Kalyan's film?". The Times of India. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2022.
- ^ "Sesh to play a crucial role in next". The Times of India. 23 November 2012. Archived from the original on 3 July 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- ^ "Adivi Sesh's new film Kiss". The Times of India. 15 January 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2021.
- ^ "'Run Raja Run' Movie Review: Worth Watching". International Business Times India. 1 August 2014. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- ^ Kumar, Hemanth (15 January 2017). "Ladies and Gentlemen gets good reviews". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- ^ Krishnamoorthy, Suresh (10 July 2015). "Bahubali roar reaches a crescendo". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- ^ IANS (28 April 2015). "'Dongata' will unleash the best in Lakshmi Manchu: Director Vamsi Krishna". The Indian Express. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- ^ "Adivi Sesh exploring romantic comedy". The Hans India. 25 May 2017. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- ^ IANS (22 November 2015). "Adivi Sesh, Adah Sharma team up for 'Kshanam'". Indian Express. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- ^ Jonnalagedda, Pranita (15 June 2017). "Adivi Sesh to play Anushka's hubby in Oopiri". Times of India. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- ^ Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (9 June 2017). "Ami Thumi: Battle of wits". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- ^ Nyayapati, Neeshita (3 August 2018). "Goodachari movie review". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 April 2022.
- ^ "Adivi Sesh to play a cameo in Samantha's O Baby! Yentha Sakkagunnave". Cinema Express. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 20 April 2022.
- ^ Nyayapati, Neeshita (3 June 2019). "Adivi Sesh's next with Regina Cassandra titled 'Evaru'". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 April 2022.
- ^ Jha, Lata (2 May 2022). "Sony Pictures to release 'Major' on 3 June". Mint. Retrieved 10 May 2022.
- ^ K, Jananui (2 May 2022). "Adivi Sesh's HIT The Second Case to release in theatres on July 29. New poster out". India Today. Retrieved 2 May 2022.
- ^ Shekhar (17 July 2014). "SIIMA Awards 2014 Nominations List of Telugu Movies". OneIndia. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- ^ Shekhar H. Hooli. "Nandi Awards 2014, 15 and 16 winners list: Mahesh Babu, Jr NTR, Balakrishna bag best actor awards". ibtimes. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- ^ Adivi Sesh Best Screenplay for Kshanam Movie IIFA Awards Utsavam 2017. IIFA Utsavam. Retrieved 1 April 2017 – via YouTube.
- ^ "IIFA Utsavam A MAGNIFICIENT CELEBRATION OF THE CINEMA OF SOUTH INDIA Nominations 2017". IIFA Utsavam. 2017. Archived from the original on 2 April 2019. Retrieved 21 September 2018.
- Adivi Sesh at IMDb
- Adivi Sesh on Facebook