The Acura ZDX is a mid-size luxury crossover SUV developed by Honda for its upmarket brand Acura. The car was originally scheduled to be called the Acura MSX. The ZDX debuted at the 2009 New York International Auto Show on April 8, 2009. The vehicle was also the first to be completely designed at Acura's southern California design studio in Torrance.
2011 Acura ZDX Advance
|Assembly||Alliston, Ontario, Canada (HCM)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Mid-size luxury crossover SUV|
|Body style||4-door SUV|
|Layout||Front engine, front-wheel drive / all-wheel drive|
|Engine||3.7L J37A5 V6|
|Wheelbase||108.3 in (2,751 mm)|
|Length||192.4 in (4,887 mm)|
|Width||78.5 in (1,994 mm)|
|Height||62.8 in (1,595 mm)|
|Curb weight||4452 lbs (2,019 kg)|
The original ZDX concept was penned by Michelle Christensen who labeled it a "4-door luxury sports coupe" and which Acura says "blurs the distinction between coupe, sedan and sport utility vehicle."
The car has been said to be a "new level of prestige for Acura." It features Acura's first six speed automatic transmission, advanced ventilated seats, as well as other luxury appointments. Although the ZDX shares a similar profile with the Honda Crosstour, the two vehicles are not mechanically related: the latter is based on the Honda Accord, while the ZDX is based on the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX.
Honda announced in a press release on October 10, 2012, that 2013 would mark "the final year on the market for ZDX as the Acura brand sharpens its focus on new models and core products."
Five teaser shots, released by Acura between March 16 and 20, 2009, indicated a coupe-like sloping roofline akin to that of the BMW X6, which led many observers to believe that is its direct competitor. After the announcement about naming the vehicle ZDX, Acura added the words "Luxury Four-Door Sports Coupe" to the caption for each picture. Moreover, it did not state the vehicle as a crossover or an SUV. The automaker translated the designers renderings almost literally into production sheetmetal. It's all but unheard-of for a rookie designer to have sketches embraced by a car company and put into production with so few changes.
The announced version includes the 3,664 cc (3.664 L; 223.6 cu in) SOHC VTEC V6 all-aluminum engine rated 300 bhp (220 kW) at 6300 rpm and 270 lb⋅ft (366 N⋅m) at 4500 rpm, 6-speed automatic transmission, Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD), 19-inch, 7-spoke alloy wheels, panoramic glass roof with movable sunshades, hand-stitched leather interior, HandsFreeLink Bluetooth connectivity, power tailgate, and a high-powered audio system with CD player, AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio and USB audio interface with iPod integration. Sales began in winter 2009.
Technology Package adds the Navigation System with voice recognition, an Acura/ELS Surround premium audio system and a new multi-view rear camera. Advance Package adds blind spot monitoring system, Collision Mitigating Braking System (CMBS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Integrated Dynamics System (IDS), which brought multiple modes of suspension firmness and response using electronically-controlled Magneto-Rheological shock absorbers.
For 2013, in a last ditch attempt, Acura sold the ZDX in only one trim level. Acura cut costs by eliminating CMBS, ACC and IDS and replaced them with Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Departure Warning (LDW), redesigned front grille, integrated parking sensors, power-folding auto-dimming side mirrors, and new dark accents for the wheels. This resulted in a MSRP ($51,815) over $5K less than the previous year advance model.
United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fuel consumption estimates for all models are 16 mpg‑US (15 L/100 km; 19 mpg‑imp) in the city, 22 mpg‑US (11 L/100 km; 26 mpg‑imp) on the highway and 19 mpg‑US (12 L/100 km; 23 mpg‑imp) combined.
Introduced in April 2009 as a 2010 model, the ZDX was discontinued after the 2013 model year due to poor sales even though it was the only Acura to offer a panoramic moonroof. Looking to the numbers: We find ZDX to be the rarest of U.S. manufactured Acura offerings, with a total of 7191 vehicles produced and sold in North America.
Colors and pricingEdit
|2010 ZDX Color||ZDX Base Package||ZDX Technology Package||ZDX Advance Package|
|Aspen White Pearl||Taupe||Taupe, Sumatra||Taupe, Sumatra|
|Palladium Metallic||Ebony, Taupe||Ebony, Taupe||Ebony, Taupe|
|Crystal Black Pearl||Ebony, Taupe||Ebony, Taupe, Umber||Ebony, Taupe, Umber|
|Dark Cherry Pearl||N/A in Base||Ebony, Taupe||Ebony, Taupe|
|Grigio Metallic||Ebony, Taupe||Taupe, Sumatra, Umber||Taupe, Sumatra, Umber|
|Ionized Bronze Metallic||N/A in Base||Ebony, Umber||Ebony, Umber|
|2010 MSRP||US$45,495 / C$45,995||US$49,995 / C$51,995||US$56,045 / C$57,995|
All ZDX models are subject to a $860 destination and handling fee (U.S.).
|Side Pole Driver:|
- Hellwig, Ed (2009-03-30). "2009 New York Auto Show: 2010 Acura ZDX Now Official". Blogs.edmunds.com. Archived from the original on 2009-04-02. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "Acura ZDX prototype". Retrieved April 8, 2009.
Acura ZDX prototype: The dynamic ZDX is the first car styled start-to-finish at Acura's new design studio in Torrance. Not a bad first effort.
- Edmunds, Dan (May 2010). "2010 Acura ZDX: Suspension Walkaround". Archived from the original on 29 May 2010. Retrieved 28 May 2010.
- Eddie Alterman (August 2009). "2010 Acura ZDX". Car and Driver. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
... seats two to three fewer occupants than the MDX and Honda Pilot SUVs on which it’s based.
- "2013 Acura ZDX Luxury Crossover To Get Numerous Enhancements in its Final Model Year". Retrieved October 10, 2012.
The innovative and stylish Acura ZDX crossover vehicle, introduced in 2009, will receive numerous styling and technology enhancements for the 2013 model year, which will be the final year on the market for ZDX as thsexe Acura brand sharpens its focus on new models and core products, the company announced today.
- "Acura ZDX | Future Vehicles". Acura.com. Archived from the original on October 4, 2009. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- Abuelsamid, Sam (2009-07-20). "Officially Official: Acura unveils 2010 ZDX crossover". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- Abuelsamid, Sam (2009-08-17). "Acura drops more details and pics aplenty of the new ZDX". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "First Look: 2010 Acura ZDX, On Sale This Winter". Blogs.cars.com. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "Acura Media Newsroom: 2010 Acura ZDX - Body". Hondanews.com. Archived from the original on 2010-06-12. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "Acura Announces Pricing and On-Sale Information for 2010". Hondanews.com. 2009-11-20. Archived from the original on 2010-02-12. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- email@example.com (10 June 2016). "Ratings". NHTSA. Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Honda Media Newsroom - Headlines - American Honda December Sales Up 25.5 Percent". Hondanews.com. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- "Honda Media Newsroom - Headlines - American Honda Posts Best Annual Sales Result Since 2008". Hondanews.com. 2013-01-03. Archived from the original on 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-02-02.