Adrianus "Aad" Nuis (18 July 1933 – 8 November 2007) was a Dutch politician of the Democrats 66 (D66) party and political scientist.
Nuis completed his military service in New Guinea, and after spending time in Jamaica returned to the Netherlands, where he became part of the anti-monarchist movement. In the 1970s he worked as a literary critic for the Haagse Post. He became more involved in politics in the D66 party.
He served in the States-Provincial of Gelderland between 7 June 1978 and 10 June 1981. He served as Secretary of State for Culture and Media and Minister of Education, Culture and Science in the 1990s.
Nuis was also active as poet, author and translator. His first poetry book Twee schelven hooi was published in 1968, and Nuis was elected to the Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde. After retiring from politics, he mainly focused on literature and books. In 2000 Nuis became the Chairman of the Dutch Literary Production and Translation Fund, and between 2001 and 2007 Nuis was Chairman of the Koninklijke Vereniging van het Boekenvak (KVB), the organization which represents all recognized Dutch publishers and booksellers. As Chairman of the KVB, Nuis played a leading role in ensuring fixed prices for books, which resulted in the passing of the Law Fixed Book Prices of 2004.
|Knight of the Order of Orange-Nassau||Netherlands||30 October 1998|
- ^ "Oud-staatssecretaris Nuis overleden | nu.nl/algemeen | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op" (in Dutch). Nu.nl. 8 November 2007. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- ^ Door Jean-Pierre Geelen (7 December 2010). "Zelf Martin Bril worden - Binnenland - VK" (in Dutch). Volkskrant.nl. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- ^ d'Haen, Theo & Bertens, Hans (eds.) (1997) Closing the Gap: American Postmodern Fiction in Germany, Italy, Spain, and the Netherlands, Editions Rodopi B.V., ISBN 978-9042002975, p. 230
- ^ a b c d Hageman, Esther (2007) "in memoriam aad nuis 1933-2007 / Literator in twee werelden", Trouw, 9 November 2007, retrieved 11 November 2012
- ^ Rathkolb, Oliver (ed.) (2004) Revisiting the National Socialist Legacy: Coming to Terms with Forced Labor, Expropriation, Compensation, and Restitution, Transaction Publishers, ISBN 978-0765805966, p. 130
- ^ "Jaarboek van de Maatschappij der Nederlandse Letterkunde, 2011". Digital Library for Dutch Literature (in Dutch). 2001. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- ^ "Drs. A. (Aad) Nuis". Parlement (in Dutch). Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- ^ "De vaste boekenprijs is gewoon een zegen". Trouw. 2 February 2002. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- ^ "Wet op de vaste boekenprijs". Laws of the Government of the Netherlands (in Dutch). 9 November 2004. Retrieved 12 June 2020.
- (in Dutch) Drs. A. (Aad) Nuis Parlement & Politiek
- (in Dutch) Drs. A. Nuis (D66) Eerste Kamer der Staten-Generaal
- Aad Nuis at Digital Library for Dutch Literature (in Dutch - De balenkraai. Kroniek uit Oudnederlands Guinea available for free download)