A.C.O.D. is a 2013 American comedy film directed by Stu Zicherman, based on a script by Zicherman and Ben Karlin, and starring Adam Scott, Amy Poehler, Jessica Alba and Jane Lynch. The name of the film is an abbreviation for Adult Children of Divorce.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Stu Zicherman|
|Produced by||Teddy Schwarzman
|Written by||Ben Karlin
|Music by||Nick Urata|
|Edited by||Jeffrey Wolf|
Black Bear Pictures
|Distributed by||The Film Arcade
Paramount Home Media Distribution
Teddy Schwarzman produced the film through his Black Bear Pictures production company. Other stars include Richard Jenkins, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Catherine O'Hara, with Ken Howard and Clark Duke in supporting roles.
The film was released in the U.S. on October 4, 2013.
A content and successful man decides to revisit a former counselor to make sense of his brother's wedding and his parents' extremely messy divorce. When he realizes his life has been personified in a book about children of divorce written by his mediocre counselor, he decides to confront his family about their dysfunctional nature.
- Adam Scott as Carter
- Richard Jenkins as Hugh, Carter's father
- Catherine O'Hara as Melissa, Carter's mother
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Lauren, Carter's girlfriend
- Clark Duke as Trey, Carter's brother
- Jane Lynch as Dr. Lorraine Judith
- Amy Poehler as Sondra, Carter's stepmother and landlord
- Ken Howard as Gary, Carter's stepfather
- Valerie Tian as Keiko
- Jessica Alba as Michelle
- Adam Pally as Mark
Several cast additions were reported in Deadline.com: Jenkins (December 7, 2011), Lynch (February 10), Winstead (March 1), Poehler (March 8). On March 20, Variety reported the Howard and Duke joined the cast. Pally's addition was reported in Entertainment Weekly on March 21.
Filming began on March 12, 2012 in Atlanta's Castleberry Hill area. It has done some filming at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Scenes were also shot in Decatur at the end of the month. By early April, filming had taken place in Buckhead, near Lake Lanier,
A.C.O.D. received mixed reviews from critics. Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 50% of critics gave the film a positive review based on 56 reviews, with an average score of 5.5/10. The site's consensus states: "Despite its impressive cast and some sharp observations, A.C.O.D. is neither funny enough nor poignant enough to work as a potent comedy or incisive satire." While RogerEbert.com had the same type of mixed criticism for the film, the site also roundly praised the performances of Poehler, Lynch, and O'Hara, stating that the film featured "three major comic actresses working at their best level here."  Furthermore, the site commended Zicherman's writing and directing, stating that "[h]is first film is a model of what a modern film comedy might be."  Manohla Dargis of the New York Times Movie Review, however, criticized the film as "cliched" and "sluggish even at 87 minutes."
- "Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Sundance Comedy ‘A.C.O.D.’". Deadline.com. April 16, 2013.
- "A.C.O.D. (2013)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "ACOD". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- Brett, Jennifer (March 21, 2012). "A.C.O.D. filming at the Atlanta Botanical Garden". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
- Sneider, Jeff (March 20, 2012). "Ken Howard, Clark Duke join 'A.C.O.D.': Black Bear Pictures' comedy co-stars Jane Lynch, Jessica Alba, more". Variety. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (December 7, 2011). "Richard Jenkins Joins Divorce Comedy ‘A.C.O.D.’". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (February 10, 2012). "‘Glee’s Jane Lynch Joins Indie Film Comedy". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- Brooks, Brian (March 1, 2012). "Mary Elizabeth Winstead Joins ‘A.C.O.D.’". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (March 8, 2012). "Amy Poehler Joins ‘Parks And Recreation’ Cohort Adam Scott In Feature ‘A.C.O.D.’Amy Poehler Joins ‘Parks And Recreation’ Cohort Adam Scott In Feature ‘A.C.O.D.’". Deadline.com. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- Snierson, Dan (March 21, 2012). "Amy Poehler-Adam Scott comedy 'A.C.O.D.' taps Adam Pally of 'Happy Endings'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
- Caldwell, Carla (March 12, 2012). "Movie with Jessica Alba, Jane Lynch films in downtown Atl.". Atlanta Business Chronicle. Retrieved April 2, 2012.
Filming begins Monday in the Castleberry Hill area of downtown Atlanta on a new movie starring Jessica Alba, Jane Lynch, Amy Poehler, and Adam Scott.
- Brett, Jennifer (March 26, 2012). "Movie with Amy Poehler, Adam Scott, Jessica Alba, Jane Lynch filming at Decatur restaurant". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- Brett, Jennifer (April 6, 2012). "A.C.O.D. films in Buckhead". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved April 17, 2012.
- Finlayson, Ariana (April 2, 2012). "PICS: See Jessica Alba's Giant Tattoos!". Us Weekly. Retrieved April 4, 2012.
- "A.C.O.D. (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- Callahan, Dan (October 4, 2013). "A.C.O.D.". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- Dargis, Manohla (October 3, 2014). "A Wedding? Uncork the Rancour". New York Times Movie Review. New York Times. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- "A.C.O.D. Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 6, 2013.