|Cardinal||six hundred sixteen|
(six hundred sixteenth)
|Factorization||23× 7 × 11|
616 is a member of the Padovan sequence, coming after 265, 351, 465 (it is the sum of the first two of these). 616 is a polygonal number in four different ways: it is a heptagonal number, as well as 13-, 31- and 104-gonal.
The Number of the BeastEdit
666 is generally believed to have been the original Number of the Beast in the Book of Revelation in the Christian Bible. In 2005, however, a fragment of papyrus 115 was revealed, containing the earliest known version of that part of the Book of Revelation discussing the Number of the Beast. It gave the number as 616, suggesting that this may have been the original. One possible explanation for the two different numbers is that they reflect two different spellings of Emperor Nero/Neron's name, for which (according to this theory) this number is believed to be a code. However, other scholars state that the number cannot represent Nero.
In other fieldsEdit
- “…a copyist may have intentionally changed the number to 616 under influence from the Latin form of the name Nero, which, transcribed into Hebrew characters…, produces 616.” (Beale 1999, p. 718)
- The Other Number of the Beast
- "Sloane's A000931 : Padovan sequence". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Papyrus Reveals New Clues to Ancient World". Archived from the original on 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- Prof Dale Martin's Lecture 23 - "Apocalyptic and Resistance" (from "Introduction to the New Testament History and Literature", RLST 152)
- 666 - professors explain Roulette and Nero in detail; numberphile.com
- Numerology of the Beast (Centre for the Study of Ancient Documents, Oxford)