50/50 (South African TV program)

50/50 is a South African environmental television program that has aired on SABC since 1984.[5][6][7][8] The show seeks to deliver content on wildlife, conservation and environmental subjects with a focus on South Africa. The show's name 50/50 refers to the fifty fifty balance between humans and nature.[9] It is one of the longest running environmental programs on air in the world.[10] It has been broadcast on SABC 1, SABC 2, and SABC 3 at various times during its history; currently it is broadcast on SABC 2. It is broadcast during prime-time from 19:00 to 20:00 on Monday.[11]

50/50
50 50 tv series logo.png
Presented byBonné de Bod
Ashmund Martin
Bertus Louw
Hermien Roelvert
Mmasea Petje[1]
Johann Botha (former)[2]
Ntokozo Mbuli (former)[3]
Erald Felix (former)[4]
Country of originSouth Africa
Production
Running time1 hour
Release
Original networkSABC
Original release8 January 1984 (1984-01-08) –
present

Around 80% of the show's content is in English with the remaining 20% presented in Afrikaans.[12] A decision that was made in 2014 when the program was moved to SABC 3,[13] previously the show's content was presented half in English and half in Afrikaans.

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ "50|50 Human | Nature". www.5050.co.za. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
  2. ^ "50/50 presenter Johann Botha shot dead during robbery".
  3. ^ "50/50 Promises Exciting New Show". iol. 3 April 2010. Retrieved 5 September 2022.
  4. ^ "50/50 Presenter Gets Own TV Channel". son.co.za (in Afrikaans). 2 August 2015. Retrieved 6 September 2022.
  5. ^ Nortje, Karina (26 February 2015). "Prof. Attie vang geskiedenis digitaal vas". InfoKom. Retrieved 6 September 2022.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  6. ^ "Die oog agter die Kamera". Mossel Bay Advertiser. 26 November 2021. Retrieved 6 September 2022.
  7. ^ "Van toeka tot nou: die 50/50 suksesverhaal". Stellenbosch Media Forum. Retrieved 6 September 2022.
  8. ^ "50|50 Beats the odds again and again". IOL. 6 February 2004. Retrieved 6 September 2022.
  9. ^ "Show Profile: 50/50". SABC 2. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
  10. ^ "50 50 now on SABC 3". SABC 3. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
  11. ^ "50|50 Human | Nature". Retrieved 5 September 2022.
  12. ^ "SABC orders less Afrikaans in 50/50 TV show". Channel. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
  13. ^ "SABC orders less Afrikaans in 50/50 TV show". News 24. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2022.