42nd Tony Awards
|42nd Tony Awards|
|Date||June 5, 1988|
|Location||Minskoff Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Angela Lansbury|
Musicals represented were:
- A Chorus Line, "Music and the Mirror" - Donna McKechnie
- Anything Goes, "Anything Goes" - Patti LuPone and Company
- Dreamgirls, "One Night Only"/"Dreamgirls" - Sheryl Lee Ralph, Loretta Devine and Terry Burrell;
- Into the Woods, "Into the Woods"/"Children Will Listen" - Phylicia Rashad and Company;
- The Phantom of the Opera, Last verse of "The Phantom of the Opera" and "The Music of The Night" - Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford;
- Romance/Romance, "I'll Always Remember the Song"/"It's Not Too Late" - Scott Bakula, Alison Fraser and Company
- Sarafina!, "Sarafina!" - Company
Plays represented were:M. Butterfly, Scene with John Lithgow and BD Wong; Joe Turner's Come and Gone, Scene with Mel Winkler, Ed Hall and Delroy Lindo; A Walk in the Woods, Scene with Sam Waterston and Robert Prosky; and Speed-the-Plow, Scene with Joe Mantegna and Ron Silver.
At these Tony Awards, the longest-running musical on Broadway, Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, competed for awards and received the season's Best Musical award.
Winners and nomineesEdit
Winners are in bold
- South Coast Repertory, Costa Mesa, CA
- Special Awards
Multiple nominations and awardsEdit
These productions had multiple nominations:
The following productions received multiple awards.
- "1988 - 42nd Annual Tony Awards" tonyawards.com, accessed April 29, 2011
- Rothstein, Mervyn." 'Phantom Of The Opera' Wins Seven Tonys; Best Play: 'Butterfly' " New York Times, June 6, 1988