43rd Tony Awards
The 43rd Annual Tony Awards, which honor achievement in the Broadway theatre was held on June 4, 1989, at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre and broadcast by CBS television. The hostess was Angela Lansbury. Lansbury has hosted or co-hosted more Tony telecasts than any other individual, with five telecasts: 1968, 1971, 1987, 1988, and 1989.
|43rd Tony Awards|
|Date||June 4, 1989|
|Location||Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Angela Lansbury|
There were no nominations for Best Book of a Musical as well as Best Score of a Musical.
Presenters and Performers: Barry Bostwick, Betty Buckley, Zoe Caldwell, Nell Carter, Carol Channing, Colleen Dewhurst, Jerry Herman, James Earl Jones, Larry Kert, Swoosie Kurtz, John Lithgow, Steve Martin, Richard Thomas, Tommy Tune, Leslie Uggams, Gwen Verdon, August Wilson, B.D. Wong.
Musicals and Plays represented:
- Black and Blue ("Tain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do"/"That Rhythm Man" - Company)
- Jerome Robbins' Broadway ("Dance at the Gym" from West Side Story - Company)
- Starmites ("Starmites"/"Hard to Be Diva" - Company)
- The Heidi Chronicles (Scene with Joan Allen and Peter Friedman)
- Largely New York (with Bill Irwin and ensemble)
- Lend Me a Tenor (Scene with Philip Bosco and Victor Garber)
- Shirley Valentine (Scene with Pauline Collins)
Winners and nomineesEdit
Winners are in bold
Regional Theatre Tony AwardEdit
- Hartford Stage Company, Hartford, Connecticut