This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2022)
Year 216 (CCXVI) was a leap year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Sabinus and Anullinus (or, less frequently, year 969 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 216 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Ab urbe condita||969|
|Balinese saka calendar||137–138|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)|
2912 or 2852
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
2913 or 2853
|Coptic calendar||−68 – −67|
|- Vikram Samvat||272–273|
|- Shaka Samvat||137–138|
|- Kali Yuga||3316–3317|
|Iranian calendar||406 BP – 405 BP|
|Islamic calendar||419 BH – 417 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1696 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||527/528 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||758–759|
342 or −39 or −811
— to —
343 or −38 or −810
- The Baths of Caracalla in Rome are completed with public baths (Thermae), reading rooms, auditoriums, running tracks, and public gardens that cover 20 acres.
- Emperor Caracalla tricks the Parthians by accepting a marriage proposal. He slaughters his bride and the wedding guests after the celebrations.
- Caracalla provokes a war with Artabanus V (of Parthia) to imitate his idol Alexander the Great. He crosses the Tigris, destroys towns and spoils the tombs of Arbela. The Roman army annexes Armenia.
- The basilica of Leptis Magna, ordered by Septimius Severus, is completed.
- Chinese warlord Cao Cao is made a vassal and ruler of Wei (Former Wei) by Emperor Xian, the last ruler of the Han Dynasty.
- Mithraism, which had begun in Persia, is on course to be adopted by many Roman soldiers serving in Asia.
- Clement of Alexandria, Greek theologian (approximate date)
- Cui Yan (or Jigui), Chinese official and politician (b. 165)
- Huo Jun (or Zhongmiao), Chinese general and official
- Mao Jie (or Xiaoxian), Chinese official and politician
- Narcissus of Jerusalem, patriarch of Jerusalem
- Pantaenus, Greek theologian (approximate date)
- Zhang Lu, Chinese warlord and religious leader
- Piranomonte, Marina (2008). The Baths of Caracalla : guide. Italy. Soprintendenza speciale per i beni archeologici di Roma (New ed., 1st ed.). Milano: Electa. ISBN 978-88-370-6302-3. OCLC 233929517.
- Dunstan, William E. (2011). Ancient Rome. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 978-0-7425-6834-1. OCLC 694787211.
- "Iran Chamber Society: Religion in Iran: Manichaeism". www.iranchamber.com. Retrieved March 31, 2022.