2017 in LGBT rights
This is a list of notable events in the history of LGBT rights that took place in the year 2017.
- 1 - Same-sex marriage becomes legal in Ascension island.
- 7 - A new Penal Code comes into effect in Peru after a governmental decree adding the terms sexual orientation and gender identity to existing hate crime and anti-discrimination laws is published in the official gazette.
- 9 - The Constitutional Court of Peru rules that all same-sex marriages performed abroad must be recognized and registered as such in Peru.
- 13 - The president of Finland signs a bill related to social benefits and health care that would finalize implementation of the same-sex marriage law that takes effect March 1, 2017.
- 16 - A lifetime blood ban is replaced by a one-year deferral period in the Republic of Ireland.
- 20 - Following the inauguration of Donald Trump as President of the United States, all mentions of LGBT rights are removed from the White House website.
- 30 - The Church of Norway votes to allow same-sex couples to have religious weddings in its churches by amending its marriage liturgy. Individual clergy members can still refuse to perform same-sex weddings, however.
- 31 - Switzerland lifts its lifetime ban on gay and bisexual men donating blood and stem cells, replacing it with a 12-month abstinence requirement.
- 7 - The Toledo City Council unanimously approves a ban on conversion therapy and makes gender identity a protected class in the city.
- 13 - Malaysia's official Islamic authority openly endorses gay conversion therapy after claiming that sexual orientation can be changed through extensive training.
- 17 - The Finnish Parliament votes 120–48 to kill legislation spurred by a citizen's initiative to rescind the new same-sex marriage law.
- 20 - The Indian Health Ministry releases resource material for adolescent peer educators assuring adolescents that feeling same-sex attraction is normal.
- 22 - The Trump administration withdraws guidelines for transgender students in public schools regarding the use bathroom and facilities corresponding with their gender identity.
- 24 - A law giving same-sex partnerships all rights of marriage except adoption and in vitro fertilization goes into effect in Slovenia.
- 28 - Two regions in the Philippines (Baguio City and Dinagat Island) introduce laws that promote equality and prohibit discrimination against individuals based on sexuality and gender.
- Same-sex marriage becomes legal in Finland with the first weddings taking place the same week. Joint adoption becomes legal as well.
- A law requiring all single-occupancy bathrooms to be gender-neutral goes into effect in California, the first state to adopt such legislation.
- British Secretary of Education Justine Greening announces that Sex and Relationship Education (SRE) will be made compulsory in all English schools by 2019.
- 2 - New York City requires school staff to use transgender students' chosen pronouns.
- 6 - The US Supreme Court sends a case involving a transgender high school student in Virginia seeking to use school bathrooms that align with his gender identity back to a court of appeals.
- The governor of Utah signs a bill repealing a law forbidding discussion of "promotion" or advocating of homosexuality in schools.
- Voters in the Osage Nation tribe of northern Oklahoma approve an amendment to the tribe's legal code to allow its judiciary to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- 27 - The City Council of Columbus approves legislation to prohibit conversion therapy to alter the sexual orientation or gender identity of LGBT youth.
- 30 - The Legislative Assembly of the Falkland Islands approves the Marriage Amendment Bill by a vote of 7 to 1 to legalize same-sex marriage.
- 4 - The United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit rules in an 8–3 vote that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
- 7 - New Mexico governor Susana Martinez signs SB 121, which prohibits the use of conversion therapy to alter sexual orientation or gender identity of LGBT youth, into law. New Mexico becomes the 7th state in the United States to ban the practice.
- 25 - The Danish Parliament ratifies legislation to legalize same-sex marriage in the Faroe Islands.
- 2 - Same-sex marriage becomes legal in Guernsey.
- 4 - Tennessee Republican Governor Bill Haslam signs HB 1111/SB 1085 into law, seen as an attempt to challenge Obergefell v. Hodges.
- 5 - Same-sex marriage becomes legal in Bermuda following a landmark supreme court case.
- 10 - Connecticut governor Dannel P. Malloy signs HB 6695, banning the use of conversion therapy to alter sexual orientation or gender identity on LGBT youth.
- 11 - The Evangelical Church of the Palatinate votes to allow same-sex marriages in its churches.
- 17 - Nevada governor Brian Sandoval signs SB 201, which prohibits health professionals from using conversion therapy to alter the sexual orientation or gender identity of LGBT youth.
- 24 - The Supreme Court of Taiwan orders the Legislative Yuan to amend existing laws or create new laws within two years to legalize same-sex marriage in Taiwan. This was make Taiwan the first country in Asia to recognize same-sex marriage.
- The Evangelical Church in Berlin, Brandenburg and Silesian Upper Lusatia votes to allow same-sex marriages in its churches.
- 8 - The Scottish Episcopal Church votes to allow same-sex marriages in its churches.
- 12 - Leo Varadkar is elected Taoiseach of Ireland, becoming the youngest and first openly gay leader of Ireland.
- 16 - The Israeli government announces that gay couples will not be allowed to adopt in Israel.
- 26 - U.S. president Donald Trump announces a ban on transgender people serving in the United States military.
- 1 - Same-sex marriage becomes legal in Malta. A bill for legalisation was passed by the Parliament on 12 July 2017 and signed by the President on 1 August.
- 29 - The Botswana High Court rules that a transgender man has a constitutional right to change his listed gender with the Registrar of National Registration.
- 1 - Same-sex marriage becomes legal in Germany. A bill for legalisation was passed by the Bundestag on 30 June 2017, and by the Bundesrat on 7 July. It was signed by President Frank-Walter Steinmeier on 20 July.
- 15 - The results of the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey are published. 61.6% of the voters vote in favor of legalizing same-sex marriages in Australia.
- 24 - The Evangelical Reformed Church in Germany votes to allow same-sex marriages in its churches .
- 5 - The Constitutional Court of Austria strikes down the ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional. Same-sex marriage is set to become legal in the country on 1 January 2019.
- 7 - Same-sex marriage officially becomes legal in Australia.
- 11 - Despite president Donald Trump's opposition, a federal judge rules that transgender people will be allowed to enlist in the United States military from 1 January 2018.
- 12 - The Trump administration turns to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, requesting to stop transgender enlistment in the United States military.
- 18 - The Botswana high court ruled that a transgender woman should be allowed to change her registered gender, mirroring a similar case in September. On the same day, the government of Botswana decides not to appeal the September court ruling, and issues the transgender man in that case a new identity document.
- "Marriage (Ascension) (Commencement) Order, 2016" (PDF). Ascension Island Government. 1 January 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 January 2017.
- "Decreto Legislativo que fortalece la lucha contra el feminicidio, la violencia familiar y la violencia de género-DECRETO LEGISLATIVO-N° 1323". Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- Jauregui, Bruno Fernández De Córdova (6 January 2017). "Perú: aprueban ley contra crímenes de odio y brindan tratamiento especializado a población penitenciaria LGTBIQ". Sin Etiquetas. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Court orders Peru to recognize its first same-sex marriage". Gay Star News. 10 January 2017. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Poder judicial emitió histórica sentencia en favor del matrimonio homosexual". Peru21. 9 January 2017. Archived from the original on 13 January 2017. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- "Tasavallan presidentin esittely 13.1.2017 - Suomen tasavallan presidentti: Tiedotteet ja uutiset". 13 January 2017. Archived from the original on 13 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Avioliittolain uudistus valmis: presidentti vahvisti toisen liitännäislakipaketin". 13 January 2017. Archived from the original on 13 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Ban on gay men giving blood to end in new year - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "LGBT rights page disappears from White House web site". Washington Post. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Norway's Lutheran Church embraces same-sex marriage". Reuters. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Church of Norway approves new rule to allow religious weddings for same-sex couples". Gay Star News. 30 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Switzerland lifts lifetime ban on gay men donating blood". Gay Star News. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- sda/galc;snep (20 June 2016). "Homosexuelle Männer sollen Blut spenden dürfen". Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen (SRF). Retrieved 1 February 2017.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Toledo City Council approves conversion therapy ban". The Blade. 7 February 2017. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Malaysia openly endorses 'gay cure' therapy". Gay Star News. 14 February 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Finnish Parliament votes down bid to repeal same-sex marriage | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi". 17 February 2017. Archived from the original on 17 February 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Finnish parliament confirms same-sex marriage law | Reuters". 17 February 2017. Archived from the original on 17 February 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Aito avioliitto -kansalaisaloite kaatui eduskunnassa äänin 120–48 - Kotimaa - Verkkouutiset". 17 February 2017. Archived from the original on 17 February 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "Same-sex attraction is OK, boys can cry, girl's no means no". The Indian Express. 21 February 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Trump Administration Rescinds Obama Rule On Transgender Students' Bathroom Use". NPR.org. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "STA: New civil unions act enters into force". english.sta.si. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- News, ABC. "Slovenia boosts rights of same-sex couples". ABC News. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "STA: Same-sex partnership act implemented". english.sta.si. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Regions of the Philippines introduce new anti-discrimination laws - OUTInPerth - Gay and Lesbian News and Culture | OUTInPerth – Gay and Lesbian News and Culture". www.outinperth.com. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Finland same-sex marriage law takes effect". Washington Blade: Gay News, Politics, LGBT Rights. 1 March 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Governor Signs California "All-Gender" Restroom Bill". www.eqca.org. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Sex education to be made compulsory in schools across England". Gay Star News. 1 March 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "NYC requires schools to use transgender students' chosen pronouns". NY Daily News. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Ariane de Vogue; Steve Vladeck & Theodore Schleifer. "Supreme Court sends transgender case back to lower court". CNN. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Utah governor repeals law forbidding 'promotion' of homosexuality in schools". fox13now.com. 20 March 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Utah just repealed one of its anti-gay laws". PinkNews. Retrieved 21 March 2017.
- "Osage Nation voters approve same-sex marriage ballot question". Tulsa World. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "Native American tribe votes to recognize same-sex marriage". Gay Star News. 23 March 2017. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "Columbus Bans 'Ex-Gay' Therapy To Minors". On Top Magazine. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Columbus Council Bans Conversion Therapy by Mental Health Professionals". Associated Press. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Lisa Watson on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- Briscoe, Tony. "Court: Civil Rights Act covers LGBT workplace bias". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "Historic Ruling from U.S. Court of Appeals | Human Rights Campaign". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Legislation - New Mexico Legislature". nmlegis.gov. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "The Latest: Local election bill doomed by pocket veto". KOB. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- Bird, The Perchy (25 April 2017). "Danish Parliament Ratifies Faroe Islands' Same-sex Marriage Law". The Perchy Bird. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "The Same-Sex Marriage (Guernsey) Law, 2016 (Commencement) Ordinance, 2017". Guernsey Legal Resources. Archived from the original on 26 April 2017. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- Gervin, Cari Wade (5 May 2017). "Haslam signs 'natural and ordinary' bill". The Nashville Post. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- Whetstone, Tyler (5 May 2017). "Gov. Bill Haslam signs 'natural meaning' bill into law". Knoxville News Sentinel. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- Gaystarnews.com: Bermuda legalizes same-sex marriage in landmark Supreme Court case
- "Unanimous passage, quick signing of ban on anti-gay 'therapy'". CT Mirror. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- EvKirchePfalz.de: Gleichstellung von Trauung und gottesdienstlicher Begleitung (german)
- Chandrika Narayan. "Nevada governor signs bill to ban conversion therapy". CNN. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Sandoval's signature makes Nevada 8th state to ban conversion therapy". Las Vegas Review-Journal. 17 May 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- CNN.com: Taiwan step closer to being first in Asia for same-sex marriage
- EKBO.de: Die evangelische Kirche in Berlin-Brandenburg traut ab sofort Paare (German) Archived 22 April 2017 at the Wayback Machine, June 2017
- "Scottish Episcopal Church approves gay marriage". BBC News. 8 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Government will not allow gay couples to adopt in Israel". The Times of Israel. 16 July 2017. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "Trump Says Transgender People Will Not Be Allowed in the Military". The New York Times. 26 July 2017. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- "These countries legalised same-sex marriage in 2017 - PinkNews · PinkNews". www.pinknews.co.uk. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
- Lavers, Michael K. (1 September 2017). "Malta same-sex marriage law takes effect". Washington Blade. Archived from the original on 3 September 2017.
- Pace, Yannick (12 July 2017). "Malta legalises same-sex marriage, as parliament votes in favour of marriage equality bill". Malta Today. Archived from the original on 13 July 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2017.
- "Botswana: Activists Celebrate Botswana's Transgender Court Victory". Archived from the original on 21 June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2018.
- Press Release: Botswana High Court Rules in Landmark Gender Identity Case
- "Germany gay marriage: Couple are first to marry under new law". BBC News. 1 October 2017. Archived from the original on 9 October 2017. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "German lawmakers approve same-sex marriage in landmark vote". Reuters. 30 June 2017. Archived from the original on 1 July 2017.
- "Same-sex marriage bill clears German upper house". Deutsche Welle. 7 July 2017. Archived from the original on 8 July 2017. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "German president signs gay marriage bill into law". Deutsche Welle. 21 July 2017. Archived from the original on 21 July 2017. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- Guardian: Australia's same-sex marriage postal survey results
- "Reformiert.de: Trauung auch für homosexuelle Paare (german)". Archived from the original on 1 December 2017. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Verfassungsgericht öffnet Ehe für Homosexuelle ab 2019". Der Standard. 5 December 2017. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "Gay marriage in Austria approved by Constitutional Court". Deutsche Welle. 5 December 2017. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "Australia legalizes same-sex marriage". CNN. 7 December 2017.
- "Transgender People Will Be Allowed to Enlist in the Military as a Court Case Advances". The New York Times. 11 December 2017.
- "Trump administration requests emergency stay to stop transgender enlistment in January". Fox News. 12 December 2017.
- "Botswana to recognise a transgender woman's identity for first time after historic High Court ruling". independent.co.uk. 18 December 2017.
- “Sweet closure” as Botswana finally agrees to recognise trans man, Mambaonline
- Media related to LGBT history in 2017 at Wikimedia Commons