2017 Ireland rugby union tour of Japan
In June 2017, Ireland played a two-test series against Japan as part of the 2017 mid-year rugby union tests. It was the first time Ireland had played a test series against Japan in Japan since 2005. The series was part of the fifth year of the global rugby calendar established by the International Rugby Board, which runs through to 2019.
|2017 Ireland rugby union tour of Japan|
|Tour captain(s)||Rhys Ruddock|
|Top test point scorer(s)||Paddy Jackson (23)|
|Top test try scorer(s)|
|Previous tour||South Africa 2016|
|Next tour||Australia 2018|
|Date and time||Venue||Home||Score||Away|
|17 June 2017, 14:00 JST (UTC+09)||Shizuoka Stadium, Shizuoka||Japan||22–50||Ireland|
|24 June 2017, 14:40 JST (UTC+09)||Ajinomoto Stadium, Tokyo||Japan||13–35||Ireland|
Note: Ages, caps and clubs are as per 17 June, the first test match of the tour.
On 16 May 2017, Joe Schmidt named a 31-man squad for the 2017 Summer Tour. On 22 May, Connacht lock Quinn Roux was added to the squad. On 31 May, Tommy O'Donnell was ruled out of the tour due to an ankle injury. Following an ankle injury sustained in the test against the United States, fly-half Joey Carbery was ruled out of the remainder of the tour. Ulster's Sean Reidy was also called up to replace Tommy O'Donnell.
- Head Coach: Jamie Joseph
|Try: Noguchi 59' c
Fukuoka 76' m
Nagare 78' c
Con: Matsuda (2/3) 60', 79'
Pen: Tamura (1/1) 14'
|Report||Try: Earls (2) 11' c, 70' m|
Leavy (2) 24' c, 28' c
Conan (2) 30' c, 45' c
Ringrose 65' c
Con: Jackson (5/5) 12', 25', 29', 32', 46'
R. Scannell (1/2) 66'
Pen: Jackson (1/1) 6'
- Will Tupou (Japan) and Kieran Treadwell and Rory O'Loughlin (both Ireland) made their international debuts.
|Try: Matsushima 23' m
Yamada 61' m
Pen: Ogura (1/1) 14'
|Report||Try: Ringrose 2' c|
van der Flier 10' c
Marmion 16' c
Ruddock 30' c
Reidy 77' c
Con: Jackson (5/5) 3', 11', 18', 31', 78'
- Con: Conversions
- Pen: Penalties
- DG: Drop goals
- Pts: Points
Test series statisticsEdit
- "Rugby Week". Archived from the original on 2014-02-23. Retrieved 2017-06-03.
- "Eight Uncapped Players In Ireland Summer Tour Squad". irishrugby.ie. 16 May 2017. Retrieved 16 May 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Quinn Roux Added To Ireland Summer Tour Squad". irishrugby.ie. 22 May 2017. Retrieved 22 May 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "O'Donnell Ruled Out Of USA & Japan Tour". munsterrugby.ie. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Joey Carbery injury woe as he is ruled out for remainder of Ireland's Summer Tour". independent.ie. 13 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Le groupe japonais pour les tests matchs de juin 2017