2015 Kansas State Wildcats football team
The 2015 Kansas State Wildcats football team represented Kansas State University in the 2015 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The Wildcats played their home games at Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium, in Manhattan, Kansas as they have done since 1968. The Wildcats were led by head coach Bill Snyder in his 24th overall and seventh straight season since taking over for his second tenure in 2009. 2015 was the 120th season in school history. K-State was a member of the Big 12 Conference. They finished the season 6–7, 3–6 in Big 12 play to finish in eighth place. They were invited to the Liberty Bowl where they lost to Arkansas.
|2015 Kansas State Wildcats football|
|Conference||Big 12 conference|
|2015 record||6–7 (3–6 Big 12)|
|Head coach||Bill Snyder (24th season)|
|Co-offensive coordinator||Dana Dimel (9th season)|
|Co-offensive coordinator||Del Miller (16th season)|
|Defensive coordinator||Tom Hayes (4th season)|
|Home stadium||Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium (capacity: 50,000)|
|2015 Big 12 football standings|
|No. 5 Oklahoma $^||8||–||1||11||–||2|
|No. 20 Oklahoma State||7||–||2||10||–||3|
|No. 7 TCU||7||–||2||11||–||2|
|No. 13 Baylor||6||–||3||10||–||3|
Rankings from AP Poll
The 2014 Kansas State Wildcats football team finished the regular season 9-3, with losses to Auburn of the SEC, Baylor and TCU. The Wildcats had been ranked in all polls with the highest ranked in the new College Football Playoff rankings at number 7. Kansas State became bowl eligible after winning its sixth game against Texas on October 25 and was invited to play in the 2015 Alamo Bowl against UCLA. Kansas State fell short to the Bruins in San Antonio, Texas with a loss of 35–40.
Kansas State announced their 2015 football schedule on November 19, 2014. The 2015 schedule consists of seven home games and five away games in the regular season. The Wildcats will host Big 12 foes Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma, TCU, and West Virginia and will travel to Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas, and Texas Tech.
|September 5||6:00 p.m.||South Dakota*||K-StateHD.TV||W 34–0||53,297|
|September 12||11:00 a.m.||at UTSA*||FS1||W 30–3||29,424|
|September 19||2:00 p.m.||Louisiana Tech*||FSN||W 39–33 3OT||53,540|
|October 3||3:00 p.m.||at No. 20 Oklahoma State||FS1||L 34–36||57,618|
|October 10||6:30 p.m.||No. 2 TCU||FOX||L 45–52||53,671|
|October 17||2:30 p.m.||No. 19 Oklahoma||ABC||L 0–55||52,867|
|October 24||11:00 a.m.||at Texas||FS1||L 9–23||88,283|
|November 5||6:30 p.m.||No. 2 Baylor||FS1||L 24–31||52,108|
|November 14||2:30 p.m.||at Texas Tech||FS1||L 44–59||53,833|
|November 21||11:00 a.m.||Iowa State||FS1||W 38–35||53,297|
|November 28||3:00 p.m.||at Kansas||FS1||W 45–14||23,842|
|December 5||3:30 p.m.||West Virginia||FS1||W 24–23||52,918|
|January 2, 2016||2:20 p.m.||vs. Arkansas*||ESPN||L 23–45||61,136|
Kansas State traveled to Stillwater, Oklahoma to take on the 25th-ranked Cowboys on October 3, 2015. Late in the second quarter, an officiating error gave Oklahoma State a first down when the offense was four yards short of the line to gain after the third down play. The series ended with a touchdown for Oklahoma State.
The error brought into question Big 12 Conference officiating, especially in light that the game was on the 25th anniversary of the Fifth Down Game between the Colorado Buffaloes and Missouri Tigers. SB Nation published "K-State lost to Oklahoma State, 36-34. Inept Big 12 officials gifted Oklahoma State a touchdown." The Big 12 Conference later acknowledged the error and that disciplinary actions will be addressed with both the field officials and chain crew.
Oklahoma State won the game on a last-minute field goal.
- "K-State Announces 2015 Football Schedule" (Press release). Kansas State University Department of Athletics. November 19, 2014. Archived from the original on December 5, 2014. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-12-08. Retrieved 2015-12-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "2015 Kansas State Wildcats Football Schedule". FB Schedules. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- Trotter, Jake (October 4, 2015). "Officials Place First-Down Marker in Wrong Spot, Leading to OK State TD". ESPN. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- Bromberg, Nick (October 4, 2015). "Oklahoma St. Apparently Mistakenly Awarded 1st Down in Win Over Kansas St". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- "Outrageous Officiating Incompetence Costs K-State". SB Nation. October 3, 2015. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- Trotter, Jake (October 4, 2015). "Big 12 Admits Officiating Error in Oklahoma State-Kansas State". ESPN. Retrieved October 4, 2015.
- Fredrickson, Kyle (October 4, 2015). "Big 12 Acknowledges it Incorrectly Gave Cowboys a First Down Against Kansas State". The Oklahoman. Oklahoma City. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- Robinett, Kellis (October 3, 2015). "Oklahoma State Catches a Break in Win Over K-State". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved October 8, 2015.