2013 Tampa Bay Rays season
The Tampa Bay Rays' 2013 season was the Rays' 16th season of Major League Baseball and the sixth as the "Rays" (all at Tropicana Field). The Rays hoped to improve upon their 90–72 record and third-place finish from 2012. After 162 games, the Rays had a 91–71 record, but fell into a tie with the Texas Rangers for the last remaining wild card berth. The Rays won in a tie-breaker game on September 30 and then beat the Cleveland Indians in the 2013 American League Wild Card Game on October 2. They advanced to play the Boston Red Sox in the 2013 American League Division Series, but lost the series in four games.
|2013 Tampa Bay Rays|
|American League Wild Card|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Andrew Friedman (de facto)|
|Local television||Sun Sports|
(Dewayne Staats, Brian Anderson, Todd Kalas)
|Local radio||Tampa Bay Rays Radio Network (English)|
(Andy Freed, Dave Wills, Todd Kalas)
(Ricardo Taveras, Enrique Oliu)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The Rays decided to pick up the options of starting pitcher James Shields, closer Fernando Rodney, and catcher José Molina, while declining the option of designated hitter Luke Scott on October 31, 2012.
Third baseman Evan Longoria was given a six-year, $100 million contract extension on November 26, 2012. This put Longoria under contract with Tampa Bay through the 2022 season, with a team option for 2023.
Pitchers James Shields and Wade Davis, along with a player to be named later (who turned out to be Elliot Johnson on February 12), were traded on the night of December 9, 2012 to the Kansas City Royals. In return, the Rays acquired four Kansas City prospects: outfielder Wil Myers, pitchers Jake Odorizzi and Mike Montgomery, and third baseman Patrick Leonard.
Some of the Rays' losses to free agency included center fielder B. J. Upton, who signed a five-year, $75.25 million deal with the Atlanta Braves. The Rays had previously offered Upton a one-year $13.3 million qualifying offer in order to receive draft pick compensation should Upton not re-sign. The Rays also lost infielder Jeff Keppinger when he signed a three-year, $12 million agreement with the Chicago White Sox on December 5, 2012. Reliever J. P. Howell signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers for one year and $2.85 million, plus $1.2 million in performance bonuses, on January 6.
American League EastEdit
|Boston Red Sox||97||65||0.599||—||53–28||44–37|
|Tampa Bay Rays||92||71||0.564||5½||51–30||41–41|
|New York Yankees||85||77||0.525||12||46–35||39–42|
|Toronto Blue Jays||74||88||0.457||23||40–41||34–47|
American League Wild CardEdit
|Boston Red Sox||97||65||0.599|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|Tampa Bay Rays||92||71||0.564||—|
|Kansas City Royals||86||76||0.531||5½|
|New York Yankees||85||77||0.525||6½|
|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim||78||84||0.481||13½|
|Toronto Blue Jays||74||88||0.457||17½|
|Chicago White Sox||63||99||0.389||28½|
Record vs. opponentsEdit
2013 AL Records
Source: AL Standings Head-to-Head
|2013 Game Log|
|2013 Postseason Game Log|
|2013 Tampa Bay Rays|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; 2B = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; AVG = Batting average; SB = Stolen bases
Note: W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; SV = Saves; IP = Innings pitched; H = Hits allowed; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Durham
- "Rays exercise 2013 options for Shields, Rodney and Molina; Decline 2013 option for Scott". Raysbaseball.com. October 31, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Bill Chastain (November 26, 2012). "Longoria signs extension through at least 2022". MLB.com. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Marc Topkin (November 27, 2012). "Tampa Bay Rays extend Evan Longoria deal through 2022 for $100M". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Bill Chastain (February 12, 2013). "Rays send Johnson to Royals to complete Shields deal". Raysbaseball.com. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Marc Topkin (December 10, 2012). "Tampa Bay Rays reportedly trade James Shields, Wade Davis to Kansas City Royals for Wil Myers, three prospects". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Bill Chastain (January 24, 2013). "Farnsworth set to rejoin Rays on one-year pact". Raysbaseball.com. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Bill Chastain (February 14, 2013). "Brignac traded to Rockies". Raysbaseball.com. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Source: B.J. Upton, Braves agree". ESPN.com. November 28, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Marc Topkin (November 29, 2012). "Rays' B.J. Upton agrees to 5-year, $75 million deal with Atlanta Braves". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "Jeff Keppinger, White Sox reach $12 million, 3-year deal". USA Today. Associated Press. December 5, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Bill Chastain (January 6, 2013). "Dodgers, reliever Howell agree on one-year deal". Raysbaseball.com. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Leventhal, Josh, ed. (2013). Baseball America 2014 Almanac. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-48-0.