Enny Manuel Romero Hernandez (born January 24, 1991) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher who plays for the Chunichi Dragons in the Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB). He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Tampa Bay Rays, Washington Nationals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Kansas City Royals.
Romero with the Washington Nationals
|Chunichi Dragons – No. 70|
|Born: January 24, 1991|
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
|MLB: September 22, 2013, for the Tampa Bay Rays|
|NPB: April 4, 2019, for the Chunichi Dragons|
|MLB statistics |
(through July 15, 2018)
|Earned run average||5.12|
|NPB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||4.26|
Tampa Bay RaysEdit
Romero represented the Rays at the 2012 All-Star Futures Game. He was added to the Rays' 40-man roster on November 20, 2012. Romero was called up to start against the Baltimore Orioles on September 22, 2013. After spending the entirety of the 2014 season in the minor leagues, Romero returned to major league action in the 2015 season as a reliever, pitching 30 innings for the Rays on the year. Starting the 2016 season, Romero retired 17 consecutive batters across relief appearances to set a franchise record for the Rays. Romero notched his first career save on August 25, 2016, striking out slugger David Ortiz to seal a Rays victory over the division rival Boston Red Sox. In total, Romero pitched to a 5.27 ERA over 80⅓ innings with the Rays across three seasons, exhibiting a high walk rate of about five batters per nine innings.
Romero pitched for the Dominican Republic national baseball team in the 2017 World Baseball Classic, earning the win in a March 12 game against Colombia with a scoreless inning of relief. He joined the Nationals at spring training after the initial round of the WBC.
With the Nationals, Romero quickly became a key cog in manager Dusty Baker's bullpen as it struggled to find its footing over the first half of the season, going through three closers before Baker decided to handle the ninth inning by committee. While Romero continued to walk batters at an above-average rate, as he had with Tampa Bay, his strikeout rate climbed and his earned run average declined relative to what it had been with the Rays. He was frequently deployed to handle the eighth and even the ninth inning.
On April 14, 2018, the Pittsburgh Pirates claimed Romero off waivers. He appeared in two games for the Pirates, hitting a double in his first at-bat, but in the four innings he pitched he gave up five runs, three of them unearned, on seven hits, giving him an ERA with Pittsburgh of 7.50. In order to make room on their roster for the major-league debut of pitching prospect Nick Kingham, the Pirates initially decided to designate Romero for assignment on April 29, but within hours changed their minds after Romero and his agent informed them that Romero had injured his shoulder while pitching on April 25. The Pirates instead opted to place him on the 10-day disabled list. He was designated for assignment on July 2.
Kansas City RoyalsEdit
Romero's main weapon is a blazing fastball, which he threw in the high 90s while in the Tampa Bay Rays organization but which began routinely hitting the century mark in 2017, beginning at the World Baseball Classic. In a July 2017 game with the Washington Nationals, Romero hit 102 miles per hour (164 km/h) with his fastball in a strikeout of Atlanta Braves star Freddie Freeman. Romero also mixes in a cutter that rides in at about 90 miles per hour (140 km/h), as well as an occasional curveball.
Perhaps the most notable drawback in Romero's game throughout his professional career has been a lack of command, with a high walk rate coloring his time in Tampa Bay. During 2017 spring training with the Nationals, a MASN Sports beat reporter noted that he appeared to have made adjustments allowing him to better locate his pitches, and Romero exhibited improved command into the 2017 season.
- Promising Rays duo cued for Futures Game
- Rays add four players to 40-man roster
- Knopf, Robbie (June 6, 2015). "Tampa Bay Rays: Is Enny Romero in the Majors To Stay?". Rays Colored Glasses. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- "Rays' Enny Romero: Sets franchise record with help of cut fastball". CBS Sports. April 26, 2016. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- "Rays rookie RP Enny Romero strikes out David Ortiz to end game". USA Today. August 25, 2016. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Reddington, Patrick (March 13, 2017). "Nationals' lefty Enny Romero impresses in WBC, earns win for Dominican Republic". Federal Baseball. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Zuckerman, Mark (March 23, 2017). "Postgame thoughts on Fedde, Nathan and Romero". MASN Sports. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Castillo, Jorge (June 14, 2017). "Dusty Baker says he told you so: 'The save by committee don't really work'". The Washington Post. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Reddington, Patrick (June 28, 2017). "Washington Nationals' Enny Romero turning into bullpen weapon for Dusty Baker..." Federal Baseball. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- baseball-reference.com Enny Romero
- Polishuk, Mark (April 7, 2018). "Nationals Designate Enny Romero, Select Jhonatan Solano's Contract". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- Brink, Bill, "Pirates place left-hander Enny Romero on 10-day disabled list," post-gazette.com, April 29, 2018, 5:18 p.m. EDT.
- Caporoso, Nicholas, "Pittsburgh Pirates: Enny Romero Placed on the Disabled List," rumbunter.com, April 30, 2018.
- Rieper, Max (July 5, 2018). "Royals claim pitcher Enny Romero off waivers". Retrieved July 5, 2018.
- Adams, Steve. "Enny Romero Elects Free Agency". MLBTradeRumors. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "中日 新助っ人左腕のロメロ獲得 視察の森ＳＤ、ガルシアに匹敵と期待（スポニチアネックス） - Yahoo!ニュース" [Chunichi land new left handed pitcher Romero]. Yahoo!ニュース (in Japanese). 2018-12-03. Retrieved 2018-12-03.
- Kerr, Byron (July 10, 2017). "Grace and Romero shine for bullpen to end first half". MASN Sports. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Sickels, John (April 10, 2016). "What to expect from Tampa Bay Rays rookie Enny Romero". Minor League Ball. Retrieved July 15, 2017.