2013 Indy Lights
The 2013 Indy Lights season was a season of open wheel motor racing. It was the 28th season of the series and the twelfth sanctioned by IndyCar, acting as the primary support series for the IZOD IndyCar Series. It began March 24, 2013 in St. Petersburg.
|2013 Indy Lights season|
|Firestone Indy Lights|
|Start date||March 24|
|End date||October 19|
|Drivers' champion||Sage Karam|
|Teams' champion||Sam Schmidt Motorsports|
Rookie Sage Karam won the championship, the eighth rookie to win the series title. Karam clinched the championship in the final race over rookie teammate Gabby Chaves. Second-year driver Carlos Muñoz won a series-high four races but was forced to settle for third in the championship. Peter Dempsey captured the Freedom 100 in a spectacular four-wide finish in what was the closest finish in Indianapolis Motor Speedway history.
In June, it was announced that the series would be promoted by Andersen Promotions beginning in 2014. INDYCAR sanctioning will remain. In August it was announced that Cooper Tire would replace Firestone as the official tire of the series in 2014.
Team and driver chartEdit
|Schmidt Peterson Motorsports||7||Gabby Chaves||All|
|67||Kyle O'Gara[N 1]||4, 12|
|Team Moore Racing||2||Juan Pablo García||1–10|
|Belardi Auto Racing||4||Jorge Goncalvez||All|
|Juan Pablo García||11–12|
|Bryan Herta Autosport
Jeffery Mark Motorsports
|Axcil Jefferies||9, 11|
|MDL Racing||56||Matthew Di Leo||3, 8–11|
|Pabst Racing||17||Dalton Kellett||10|
IndyCar announced the 2013 Indy Lights schedule on October 18, 2012. It joined all IndyCar Series weekends in North America except Detroit, Texas and Sonoma.
|1||March 23–24||St. Petersburg 100||Streets of St. Petersburg||St. Petersburg, Florida|
|2||April 6–7||Legacy Indy Lights 100||Barber Motorsports Park||Birmingham, Alabama|
|3||April 20–21||Long Beach 100||Streets of Long Beach||Long Beach, California|
|4||May 24||Firestone Freedom 100||Indianapolis Motor Speedway||Speedway, Indiana|
|5||June 14–15||Milwaukee Race||Milwaukee Mile||West Allis, Wisconsin|
|6||June 22–23||Iowa Speedway 100||Iowa Speedway||Newton, Iowa|
|7||July 6–7||Pocono Race||Pocono Raceway||Long Pond, Pennsylvania|
|8||July 12–13||Grand Prix of Toronto||Exhibition Place||Toronto|
|9||August 3–4||Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio||Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course||Lexington, Ohio|
|10||August 31 – September 1||Grand Prix of Baltimore||Streets of Baltimore||Baltimore, Maryland|
|11||October 5–6||Grand Prix of Houston||Reliant Park||Houston, Texas|
|12||October 18–19||Lefty's Kids Club 100||Auto Club Speedway||Fontana, California|
- Points system
- Ties in points broken by number of wins, or best finishes.
- "Twelve races, two new venues for 2013". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. October 18, 2012. Archived from the original on October 21, 2012. Retrieved October 31, 2012.
- Lewandowski, Dave (October 19, 2013). "Karam secures title; Munoz wins fourth race". IndyCar. Retrieved October 19, 2013.
- Andersen Promotions to take over Indy Lights, Racer, June 20, 2013, Retrieved 2013-10-22
- Cooper Tires Named Official Tire Of New Indy Lights Series, Performance Racing Industry, August 22, 2013, Retrieved 2013-10-22
- "Chaves graduates for '13 to championship team". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. February 14, 2013. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- Glendenning, Mark. Sage Karam joins Sam Schmidt Indy Lights line-up, Autosport, March 8, 2013, Retrieved 2013-03-08
- SFHR Development Driver Kyle O’Gara to Run Firestone Freedom 100 thru Partnership with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports , http://sfhracing.com, March 27, 2013, Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Star Mazda Champ Jack Hawksworth to Join Sam Schmidt Motorsports in 2013". Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- Guerra, Kate. Garcia joins race-winning Team Moore for '13 season, IndyCar, January 10, 2013, Retrieved 2013-01-10
- Veach moves up to Firestone Indy Lights with Andretti, IndyCar.com, December 3, 2012, Retrieved December 3, 2012
- Andretti retains Muñoz, will contest Indy 500 Archived 2012-10-23 at the Wayback Machine, IndyCar.com, October 22, 2012, Retrieved November 2, 2012
- Third Time is the Charm for Goncalvez Who Reunites with Belardi Auto Racing for 2013, constantcontact.com, February 27, 2013,
- Peter Dempsey earns full season chance with Belardi, racer.com, October 11, 2012, Retrieved November 2, 2012
- Di Leo to Make Debut on Streets of Long Beach Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, eFormulaCarNews, April 16, 2013, Retrieved 2013-04-16
- Series champ Hawksworth ready for next challenge Archived 2012-11-04 at the Wayback Machine, IndyCar.com, October 30, 2012, Retrieved November 2, 2012