2012 Indy Lights
The 2012 Indy Lights season is a season of open wheel motor racing. It is the 27th season of the series and the eleventh sanctioned by IndyCar, acting as the primary support series for the IZOD IndyCar Series. It began March 24, 2012 in St. Petersburg.
|2012 Indy Lights season|
|Firestone Indy Lights|
|Start date||March 24|
|End date||September 15|
|Drivers' champion||Tristan Vautier|
|Teams' champion||Sam Schmidt Motorsports|
|Rookie of the Year||Tristan Vautier|
The championship was dominated by the Sam Schmidt Motorsports team with French driver Tristan Vautier winning the championship by eight points ahead of experienced Argentine team mate Esteban Guerrieri. SSM drivers won seven out of the twelve races over the course of the season and Vautier also claimed the rookie of the year title. Colombian driver Gustavo Yacamán from Team Moore Racing finished a tight battle for third with countryman Sebastián Saavedra.
Team and driver chartEdit
|1||March 24||St. Petersburg 100||Streets of St. Petersburg||St. Petersburg, Florida|
|2||April 1||Grand Prix of Alabama||Barber Motorsports Park||Birmingham, Alabama|
|3||April 15||Grand Prix of Long Beach||Streets of Long Beach||Long Beach, California|
|4||May 25||Firestone Freedom 100||Indianapolis Motor Speedway||Speedway, Indiana|
|5||June 2||Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix||Belle Isle||Detroit, Michigan|
|6||June 15||Firestone Indy Lights 100||Milwaukee Mile||West Allis, Wisconsin|
|7||June 22||Sukup 100||Iowa Speedway||Newton, Iowa|
|8||July 7||Toronto 100||Exhibition Place||Toronto, Ontario|
|9||July 21||Edmonton 100||Edmonton City Centre Airport||Edmonton, Alberta|
|10||August 5||Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières||Circuit Trois-Rivières||Trois-Rivières, Quebec|
|11||September 1||Grand Prix of Baltimore||Streets of Baltimore||Baltimore, Maryland|
|12||September 15||Auto Club Speedway Foundation 100||Auto Club Speedway||Fontana, California|
- Ties in points broken by number of wins, or best finishes.
- "12 races on 2012 calendar". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. December 27, 2011. Retrieved December 28, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Vautier claims championship by 8 points over Guerrieri". indycar.com. IndyCar. 16 September 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-09-18. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Victor Carbone continues with Schmidt in Indy Lights". Racer. Haymarket Publications. December 29, 2011. Retrieved December 29, 2011.
- "Sam Schmidt Motorsports signs Webb". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. December 1, 2011. Archived from the original on 2012-01-03. Retrieved December 29, 2011.
- "Esteban Guerrieri ci riprova con Sam Schmidt Motorsports" [Esteban Guerrieri is back with Sam Schmidt Motorsports]. stopandgo.tv (in Italian). Stop&Go. March 15, 2012. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Vautier joins Schmidt for 2012 Indy Lights season". Racer. Haymarket Publications. November 18, 2011. Retrieved December 29, 2011.
- El Tigrillo Yacamán se queda en la Indy Lights, el Colombiano, March 6, 2012, Retrieved March 6, 2012 (in Spanish)
- Ostella Joins Team Moore in Firestone Indy Lights Series, David Ostella PR, January 2, 2012, Retrieved January 2, 2012
- Muñoz, Castenada Join Indy Lights for St. Pete Archived March 27, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, "RACER.com", March 19, 2012, Retrieved March 19, 2012
- "Andries to debut at Long Beach". Racer. Haymarket Publications. April 10, 2012. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- "Juncos Racing acquires Davey Hamilton's Indy Lights team". Racer. Haymarket Publications. November 29, 2011. Retrieved December 29, 2011.
- ""Goncalvez Returns to Belardi for 2012"". Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- driver makes history”[permanent dead link] (indycar.com; January 20, 2012)
- "Dempsey joins Belardi Auto Racing for remainder of season". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. June 29, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-07-02. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Knowlton, Veronica. Mike Larrison Joins Belardi Auto Racing Belardi Auto Racing, May 4, 2012, Retrieved 2012-05-04
- "Fan Force United signs Ebrahim". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. January 3, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-01-09. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "Fan Force United hires Clauson for two races". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. June 9, 2012. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- Guerra, Kate. Newton-John enters the Freedom 100 with Fan Force United Archived 2012-05-02 at the Wayback Machine, IndyCar, April 30, 2012, Retrieved 2012-05-01
- Dempsey returns to Firestone Indy Lights with Younessi, May 7, 2012, Retrieved 2012-05-07
- Younessi Racing enters Indy Lights, Racer, February 28, 2012, Retrieved March 6, 2012
- "NBC Sports Network to air 2012 races". Firestone Indy Lights. IndyCar. February 17, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-02-19. Retrieved February 17, 2012.