2012 Milan–San Remo
The 2012 Milan–San Remo was the 103rd running of the Milan–San Remo single-day cycling race. It was held on 17 March over a distance of 298 kilometres (185.2 miles) and was the fourth race of the 2012 UCI World Tour season.
|2012 UCI World Tour, race 4 of 28|
Route of the 2012 Milan–San Remo
|Distance||298 km (185.2 mi)|
|Winning time||6h 59' 24"|
The race was won by GreenEDGE rider Simon Gerrans, who was part of a three-man group that battled for the victory, in a sprint finish. Gerrans finished ahead of RadioShack–Nissan's Fabian Cancellara – the winner of the race in 2008 – and Liquigas–Cannondale's Vincenzo Nibali, who completed the podium.
As Milan–San Remo was a UCI World Tour event, all 18 UCI ProTeams were invited automatically and obligated to send a squad. Seven other squads were given wildcard places into the race, and as such, formed the event's 25-team peloton. Each team started with eight riders, making a starting peloton of 200.
The 25 teams that competed in the race were:
|1||Simon Gerrans (AUS)||GreenEDGE||6h 59' 24"|
|2||Fabian Cancellara (SUI)||RadioShack–Nissan||s.t.|
|3||Vincenzo Nibali (ITA)||Liquigas–Cannondale||s.t.|
|4||Peter Sagan (SVK)||Liquigas–Cannondale||+ 2"|
|5||John Degenkolb (GER)||Project 1t4i||+ 2"|
|6||Filippo Pozzato (ITA)||Farnese Vini–Selle Italia||+ 2"|
|7||Óscar Freire (ESP)||Team Katusha||+ 2"|
|8||Alessandro Ballan (ITA)||BMC Racing Team||+ 2"|
|9||Daniel Oss (ITA)||Liquigas–Cannondale||+ 2"|
|10||Daniele Bennati (ITA)||RadioShack–Nissan||+ 2"|
- Lowe, Felix (17 March 2012). "Glorious Gerrans wins Milan-San Remo". Yahoo! Eurosport. TF1 Group. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- "Order of Arrival" (PDF). Milan–San Remo. La Gazzetta dello Sport; RCS MediaGroup. 17 March 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2012.
- Westemeyer, Susan (17 March 2012). "Gerrans wins in Milan-San Remo". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "2012 Giro d'Italia wildcards named". Cycling News. Future Publishing Limited. 10 January 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2012.
Milan-San Remo: Acqua & Sapone, Colnago-CSF Inox, Colombia-Coldeportes, Farnese Vini-Selle Italia, Project 1t4I, Team Type 1 – Sanofi, Utensilnord Named.
- "Starters list" (PDF). Milan–San Remo. La Gazzetta dello Sport; RCS MediaGroup. Retrieved 17 March 2012.