1982 South African Grand Prix
|1982 South African Grand Prix|
|Race 1 of 16 in the 1982 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||23 January 1982|
Transvaal Province, South Africa
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.104 km (2.55 mi)|
|Distance||77 laps, 316.008 km (196.358 mi)|
|Time||1:08.278 on lap 49|
The prelude to the race was notable for a strike action by the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, led by Niki Lauda and Didier Pironi, in protest at the new superlicence conditions imposed by FISA, which would have tied the drivers to a single team for up to three years. A late compromise was reached and the race went ahead. The drivers were subsequently fined between US$5,000 and US$10,000 and handed suspended race bans; however, the FIA Court of Appeal later reduced the penalties and criticised FISA's handling of the dispute.
Turbocharged cars took the first six positions on the grid. Despite Alain Prost suffering a puncture while leading, he was able to recover to win the race. Lauda, in his first race after two years out of F1, finished fourth. It was the final podium F1 finish for Carlos Reutemann, who retired from Grand Prix racing after the next race in Brazil, and his place at Williams was taken by Mario Andretti for the following race, at Long Beach.
|15||11||Elio de Angelis||Lotus-Ford||1:10.685||+4.334|
|16||22||Andrea de Cesaris||Alfa Romeo||1:10.952||+4.601|
|19||23||Bruno Giacomelli||Alfa Romeo||1:11.285||+4.934|
|DNQ||36||Teo Fabi||Toleman-Hart||No time|
- To date, this is the last time a Grand Prix has been held in January.
- Last podium for an Argentine driver to date.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "1982 South African Grand Prix flashback". F1 Fanatic. 18 June 2008. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Fearnley, Paul (April 2012). "The Commodore 64, Compact Discs and F1 drivers on strike: welcome to 1982". Classic & Sports Car. Teddington, Middlesex, UK: Haymarket: 237. ISSN 0263-3183.
- "1982 South African Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 4 November 2014. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- "F1 World Championship - 1982 South African Grand Prix". MotorSportMagazine. Retrieved 7 July 2019.
- "South Africa 1982 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
1981 Caesars Palace Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1982 Brazilian Grand Prix
1981 South African Grand Prix
|South African Grand Prix||Next race:|
1983 South African Grand Prix