1980 NCAA Division I-AA football season
The 1980 NCAA Division I-AA football season, part of college football in the United States organized by the National Collegiate Athletic Association at the Division I-AA level. The third season of I-AA football began in August 1980 and four teams were selected for the postseason, with the national semifinals played on December 13. The 1980 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship Game was the Camellia Bowl played on December 20 at Hughes Stadium in Sacramento, California.
|1980 NCAA Division I-AA season|
|Number of teams||45|
|Duration||December 13–December 20|
|Championship date||December 20, 1980|
|Championship site||Hughes Stadium,|
|Champion||Boise State Broncos|
|Division I-AA football season|
In a game with multiple lead changes, the Boise State Broncos won their first (and only) I-AA championship, defeating the defending national champion Eastern Kentucky Colonels, 31−29. With less than a minute to play, the Broncos drove eighty yards for the winning touchdown, a 14-yard pass from quarterback Joe Aliotti to tight end Duane Dlouhy with twelve seconds remaining.
Conference changes and new programsEdit
|School||1979 Conference||1980 Conference|
|Akron||Mid-Continent (D-II)||Ohio Valley (I-AA)|
|Delaware||D-II Independent||I-AA Independent|
|James Madison||D-III Independent||I-AA Independent|
|Maryland Eastern Shore||MEAC||Dropped Program|
|Nicholls State||D-II Independent||I-AA Independent|
|Southeastern Louisiana||D-II Independent||I-AA Independent|
Big Sky Conference – Boise State
NCAA Division I-AA Playoff bracketEdit
|National Championship Game|
Hughes Stadium—Sacramento, CA
* Denotes host institution
- "Boise State moves into I-AA finals". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Associated Press. December 14, 1980. p. 7B.
- "Camellia: Who vs. who?". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. December 20, 1980. p. 24.
- "1980 NCAA Division I Football Championship" (PDF). NCAA.org. p. 14. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "Broncos squeak by Colonels, take title". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. December 21, 1980. p. B2.
- Embry, Micahael (December 1, 1980). "Division I-AA playoffs set". Reno Gazette-Journal. Reno, Nevada. AP. p. 32. Retrieved February 9, 2019 – via newspapers.com.