1979 in philosophy
1979 in philosophy
- Hegel Society of Great Britain was founded in 1979.
- Peter Singer, Practical Ethics (1979)
- Amartya Sen, Equality of What? (The Tanner Lectures on Human Values)
- Dreyfus, Hubert, What Computers Can't Do: The Limits of Artificial Intelligence, 2nd ed. (First ed., 1972)
- Fodor, Jerry, Representations: Essays on the Foundations of Cognitive Science, Harvard Press (UK) and MIT Press (US)
- Hofstadter, Douglas, Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. Basic Books. (Won Pulitzer Prize in 1980.)
- Kripke, Saul, "A Puzzle about Belief", In: Meaning and Use, edited by A. Margalit. Dordrecht and Boston: Reidel.
- Lewis, David, "Prisoners' Dilemma is a Newcomb Problem," Philosophy and Public Affairs, 8, pp 235–40.
- Lewis, David, "Counterfactual Dependence and Time's Arrow," Nous, 13, pp 455–76.
- Lewis, David, "Scorekeeping in a Language Game," Journal of Philosophical Logic, 8, pp 339–59.
- Lewis, David, "Attitude De Dicto and De Se," Philosophical Review, 88, pp 513–43.
- Lewis, David, "Lucas against Mechanism II," Canadian Journal of Philosophy, 9, pp 373–76.
- McDowell, John, "Virtue and Reason," The Monist, lxii, 331-50; reprinted in Stanley G. Clarke and Evan Simpson, eds., Anti-Theory in Ethics and Moral Conservatism (SUNY Press, Albany, 1989), pp. 87–109
- Ortony, Andrew (ed.), Metaphor and Thought, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (Note: Some authors and contents may not have originated in 1979, but included in the revised edition in 1993.)
- Metaphor, language and thought, Andrew Ortony
- More about metaphor, Max Black
- Part I. Metaphor and Meaning
- Figurative speech and linguistics, Jerrold M. Saddock
- The semantics of metaphor, L. Jonathan Cohen
- Some problems with the notion of literal meanings, David E. Rumelhart
- Metaphor, John R. Searle
- Language, concepts, and worlds: Three domains of metaphor, Samuel R. Levin
- Observations on the pragmatics of metaphor, Jerry L. Morgan
- Part II. Metaphor and Representation
- Generative metaphor: A perspective on problem-setting in social policy, Donald A. Schön
- The conduit metaphor: A case of frame conflict in our language about language, Michael J. Reddy
- The contemporary theory of metaphor, George Lakoff
- Process and products in making sense of tropes, Raymond W. Gibbs, Jr.
- Metaphor, induction, and social policy: The Convergence of macroscopic and microscopic views, Robert J. Sternberg and Roger Tourangeau
- Part III. Metaphor and Understanding
- Psychological processes in metaphor comprehension and memory, Allan Paivio and Mary Walsh
- The interpretation of novel metaphors, Bruce Fraser
- The role of similarity in similes and metaphors, Andrew Ortony
- Images and models, Similes and Metaphors, George A. Miller
- How Metaphors Work, Sam Glucksberg and Boaz Keysar
- Metaphor and irony: two levels of understanding, Ellen Winner and Howard Gardner
- Part IV. Metaphor and Science
- The shift from metaphor to analogy in western science, Dedre Gentner and Michael Jeziorski
- Metaphor and theory change: What is ‘metaphor’ a metaphor for? Richard Boyd
- Metaphor in science, Thomas S. Kuhn
- Metaphorical imprecision and the ‘top-down’ research strategy, Zenon W. Pylyshyn
- Part V. Metaphor and Education
- The instructive metaphor: metaphoric aids to students’ understanding of science, Richard E. Mayer
- Metaphor and learning, Hugh G. Petrie and Rebecca S. Oshlag
- Learning without metaphor, Thomas F. Green
- Educational uses of metaphor, Thomas G. Sticht
- Osgood, Charles E., Focus on Meaning: Explorations in Semantic Space. Mouton Publishers.
- Osgood, Charles E., "What is a Language?" In: Aaronson, D. & Rieber, R. (eds.) Psycholinguistic Research: Implications and Applications. Hillsdale, N.J.: Erlbaum. pp. 189–228.
- Perry, John, "The Problem of the Essential Indexical." Noûs 13, no. 1: 3 – 21.
- Popper, Karl, Objective Knowledge: An Evolutionary Approach, Rev. ed. (First ed., 1972)
- Rorty, Richard, Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature
- Searle, John, Expression and Meaning
- Origins of the essays
- 1. A taxonomy of illocutionary acts
- 2. Indirect speech acts
- 3. The logical status of fictional discourse
- 4. Metaphor
- 5. Literal meaning
- 6. Referential and attributive
- 7. Speech acts and recent linguistics
- Hans Jonas, The Imperative of Responsibility (1979)
- James Lovelock, Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth (1979)
- Hans Albert, Das Elend der Theologie (in German, not yet translated into English; 1979)
- Jean-Francois Lyotard, The Postmodern Condition (1979)
- Leo Bersani, Baudelaire and Freud (1979)
- September 22 - Roberto Saviano
- Sen, Amartya. "Equality of What? - The Tanner Lecture on Human Values" (PDF). Tanner Humanities Center - The University of Utah. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-11-15. Retrieved 18 January 2013.