1958 in art
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1958 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- October 15 – At the Goldschmidt sale at Sotheby's in London, a version of Paul Cézanne's The Boy in the Red Vest sells at a new record price for a painting at auction.
- M. C. Escher publishes his illustrated book The Regular Division of the Plane
- Robert Frank publishes his photographic essay The Americans (in Paris)
- Mark Rothko completes forty paintings, the "Seagram murals" (including Black on Maroon and Four Darks in Red), for The Four Seasons Restaurant in New York but withdraws from the commission before they are hung there
- Jean Arp retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art, New York City
- Yves Klein, La spécialisation de la sensibilité à l’état matière première en sensibilité picturale stabilisée, Le Vide ("The Specialization of Sensibility in the Raw Material State into Stabilized Pictorial Sensibility, The Void"), Iris Clert Gallery, Paris.
- Constructivist Design at the Galerie Lambert Weyl, Paris
- Edmond Amateis – Polio Hall of Fame in Warm Springs, Georgia
- Paul Cadmus – Night in Bologna
- Jacob Epstein – sculptures
- M. C. Escher – Belvedere (lithograph)
- Marshall Fredericks – The Spirit of Detroit (bronze)
- Mathias Goeritz, Luis Barragán and Jesús Reyes Ferreira – Torres de Satélite, monument in Ciudad Satélite, Mexico
- Jasper Johns – Three Flags
- Morris Louis – Russet
- René Magritte – The Listening Room (second version)
- S. H. Raza – Paysage
- Emil Schumacher – Cadmium
- David Wynne – Teamwork (sculpture)
- 4 May – Keith Haring, American artist and social activist (d.1990).
- 8 September – Reiko Terashima, Japanese manga artist and illustrator.
- 23 October – Axel Krause, German painter and graphic artist.
- 5 December – Julio Galán, Mexican artist (d.2006).
- date unknown
- January 28 – Ferenc Helbing, Hungarian painter and lithographer (b. 1870)
- January 30 – Jean Crotti, Swiss-born painter (b. 1878)
- February 13 – Georges Rouault, French Fauvist and Expressionist painter and stained glass artist (b. 1871)
- February 16 – Situ Qiao, Chinese painter (b. 1902)
- February 26 – Yokoyama Taikan, Japanese painter (b. 1868)
- March 1 – Giacomo Balla, Italian painter (b. 1871)
- March 22 – Claire McCardell, American fashion designer (b. 1905)
- April 11 – Konstantin Yuon, Russian painter and theatre designer (b. 1875)
- May 11 – Lucien Lelong, French fashion designer (b. 1889)
- August 12 – André Bauchant, French naïve painter (b. 1873)
- August 22 – Ted Sears, American animator (b. 1900)
- August 23 – Marlow Moss, English Constructivist artist (b. 1889)
- August 24 – Paul Henry, Irish painter (b. 1876)
- September 15 – Stephen Bone, English painter (b. 1904)
- October 11
- November 17 – Frank Cadogan Cowper, English painter and illustrator (b. 1877)
- November 30 – Sir Hubert Wilkins, Australian explorer and photographer (b. 1888)
- date unknown
- Spearritt, Peter. "Pidgeon, William Edwin (Wep) (1909–1981)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Night in Bologna". Smithsonian American Art Museum. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Claire McCardell - Beachwear - American". The Metropolitan Museum of Art, i.e. The Met Museum. Retrieved 2018-05-09.