1956–57 Panhellenic Championship
The 1956–57 Panhellenic Championship was the 21st season of the highest football league of Greece and one of the most interesting championships in the 50s and also one of the most discussed due to the punishment of Ethnikos Piraeus from the HFF. Olympiacos won their 13th champinoship (4 consecutive) after an interesting race with Panathinaikos which ended in a tie and therefore the title was decided by a play-off round in which Olympiacos won (0-0 aet and 1-0). Compared to the previous season, the teams that participated in the final phase of the championship increased by 4 (10 out of 6) and resulted as follows:
- Athenian Championship: The first 3 teams of the ranking.
- Piraeus' Championship: The first 2 teams of the ranking.
- Macedonian Championship: The first 2 teams of the ranking.
- Regional Championships: The 2 winners (North and South group).
- An additional position was secured after a play-off round between the third teams Piraeus' and Macedonian Championship.
13th Greek title
|Goals scored||289 (3.21 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Petros Christofidis (15)|
|Biggest home win||Apollon Athens vs Panargiakos 8–0|
|Biggest away win||Panargiakos vs Panathinaikos 0–6|
|Highest scoring||Apollon Athens vs Panargiakos 8–0|
The qualifying round matches took place from 16 September 1956 to 11 January 1957, while the final phase took place from 13 January to 18 July 1957. The point system was: Win: 3 points - Draw: 2 points - Loss: 1 point.
Statistics of Panhellenic Championship in the 1956–57 season below:
Olympiacos won the championship.
- Ethnikos Piraeus was disqualified from the championship, after a controversial decision, four matches before the end of the season
Olympiacos won 1–0 on aggregate.