1938 PGA Championship
|Dates||July 10–16, 1938|
|Course(s)||Shawnee Country Club|
|Organized by||PGA of America|
|Format||Match play - 6 rounds|
|Length||6,656 yards (6,086 m)|
64 to match play
|Cut||151 (+7), playoff|
|def. Sam Snead, 8 & 7|
Then a match play championship, Paul Runyan won his second PGA Championship, defeating the favored Sam Snead 8 & 7. Nicknamed "Little Poison," Runyan was one of the shorter hitters on tour, while Snead was one of the longest. Runyan was five holes up after the morning round, then needed just eleven holes to finish off Snead, the largest victory margin ever in the match play finals of the PGA Championship. Snead won only one of the 29 holes, the 24th, which Runyan bogeyed. Runyan's victory four years earlier in 1934 took 38 holes to decide.
- Sunday and Monday – 36-hole stroke play qualifier, 18 holes per day;
- defending champion Denny Shute and top 63 professionals advanced to match play
- Tuesday – first two rounds, 18 holes each
- Wednesday – third round – 36 holes
- Thursday – quarterfinals – 36 holes
- Friday – semifinals – 36 holes
- Saturday – final – 36 holes
Past champions in the fieldEdit
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||Record||Advanced to||Finish|
|Paul Runyan||United States||1934||6–0||Champion||1|
|Gene Sarazen||United States||1922, 1923, 1933||3–1||Quarterfinals||T5|
|Denny Shute||United States||1936, 1937||2–1||Third round||T9|
|Leo Diegel||United States||1928, 1929||1–1||Second round||T17|
|Johnny Revolta||United States||1935||1–1||Second round||T17|
Saturday, July 16, 1938
|1||Paul Runyan||United States||1,100|
|2||Sam Snead||United States||600|
|T3||Jimmy Hines||United States||350|
|Henry Picard||United States|
|T5||Jim Foulis||United States||250|
|Byron Nelson||United States|
|Gene Sarazen||United States|
|Horton Smith||United States|
Final eight bracketEdit
Final match scorecardsEdit
8 & 7
- You Tube – 1938 PGA Championship final
- "Frank Moore wins qualifying medal". Montreal Gazette. Associated Press. July 12, 1938. p. 13. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- "Tournament Info for: 1938 PGA Championship". PGA of America. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 17, 1938). "Runyan crushes Snead 8-and-7 for PGA title". Chicago Sunday Tribune. p. 1, part 2.
- McLemore, Henry (July 17, 1938). "Runyan trounces Snead 8-7, for P.G.A. title". Miami News. United Press. p. 1C. Retrieved April 26, 2013.
- Bartlett, Charles (July 12, 1938). "Moore leads pro qualifiers with 136; match play today". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 17.