1884 in art
Events from the year 1884 in art.
- February 2 – First annual exhibition of Les XX opens at the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Brussels. Artists invited to show in addition to members of the group include Auguste Rodin, James McNeill Whistler and Max Liebermann.
- March – Theo van Gogh starts buying and selling Impressionist works, beginning with a painting by Pissarro.
- April – Camille Pissarro moves to Éragny-sur-Epte.
- May 15–July 15 – Groupe des Artistes Indépendants stages the first officially sanctioned open exhibition of contemporary art in Paris.
- July 29 – Société des Artistes Indépendants established in Paris under the leadership of Albert Dubois-Pillet.
- August 30 – Austrian painter Marianne Preindlsberger marries English painter Adrian Scott Stokes.
- Michael Ancher – Portrait of my wife, the painter Anna Ancher
- Henry Baerer – Ludwig van Beethoven (bronze sculpture, version for Central Park, New York City)
- Marie Bashkirtseff – The Meeting
- Anna Bilińska-Bohdanowicz – A Negress
- Jules Breton – The Song of the Lark
- Gustave Caillebotte
- Gustaf Cederström – Funeral procession of King Charles XII
- Daniel Chester French – John Harvard (bronze sculpture)
- Alfred Gilbert – sculptures
- Study of a Head
- Félix Resurrección Hidalgo – Las Virgenes Cristianas Expuestas al Populacho
- Henry Holiday – Dante and Beatrice
- John Lavery – On the Bridge at Grez
- Frederic Leighton – Cymon and Iphigenia
- John Seymour Lucas – After Culloden: Rebel Hunting
- Juan Luna – Spoliarium
- Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier – The Siege of Paris in 1870
- John Everett Millais – Message from the Sea
- Albert Joseph Moore – Reading Aloud
- Edvard Munch – Morning
- John O'Connor – From Pentonville Road looking west, evening
- Anna Petersen – Breton Girl Looking After Plants in the Hothouse
- Medardo Rosso – Flesh of Others (wax sculpture)
- John Singer Sargent
- Georges-Pierre Seurat – Bathers at Asnières
- Alfred Sisley – The Port of Moret-sur-Loing
- Marie Spartali Stillman – Madonna Pietra degli Scrovigni
- Marianne Stokes – Reflection
- Abbott Handerson Thayer – The Sisters
- Vasily Vereshchagin – Blowing from Guns in British India
- Jan Voerman – Days of Mourning
- February 5 – Vlastislav Hofman, Czech painter and architect (died 1964)
- February 12
- May 11 – Stanley Anderson, English engraver (died 1966)
- June 19 – Georges Ribemont-Dessaignes, French writer and artist (died 1974)
- June 25 – Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, German-born French art dealer (died 1979)
- June 30 – Jovan Bijelić, Serbian painter (died 1964).
- July 7 – André Dunoyer de Segonzac, French painter and graphic artist (died 1974)
- July 12 – Amedeo Modigliani, Italian-born painter and sculptor (died 1920)
- September 1 – Hilda Rix Nicholas, Australian painter (died 1961)
- October 6 – MacDonald Gill, English designer (died 1947)
- December 12 (November 30 O.S.) – Zinaida Serebriakova, Russian-born painter (died 1967)
- December 15 – Eugeniusz Zak, Belarusian-born painter (died 1926)
- December 17 – Waldo Peirce, American painter (died 1970)
- January 9 – Vito D'Ancona, Italian painter (born 1825)
- January 28 – Alexander Louis Leloir, French painter (born 1843)
- June 13 – Anton Zwengauer, German painter (born 1810)
- June 19 – Adrian Ludwig Richter, German painter and etcher (born 1803)
- October 1 – Theodor Martens, German painter (born 1822)
- October 3 – Hans Makart, Austrian painter and designer (born 1840)
- October 22 – Treffle Berthlaume, Québécois sculptor (born 1803)
- October 31 – Marie Bashkirtseff, Ukrainian-French painter, of TB (born 1858)
- date unknown
- State, Paul F. (2004). Historical dictionary of Brussels. Scarecrow Press. p. 409. ISBN 978-0-8108-5075-0. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- Giedion, Sigfried (2007). Raum, Zeit, Architektur: Die Entstehung einer neuen Tradition (in German). Springer. p. 536. ISBN 978-3-7643-5407-7. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- Rewald, John (1973). "Theo van Gogh, Goupil, and the Impressionists". Gazette des Beaux-Arts: 1–107.
- Bowlt, John E.; Misler, Nicoletta; Thyssen-Bornemisza, Sammlung (1994). Twentieth-Century Russian and East European Painting: The Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection. Stuttgart: Klett-Cotta. p. 320. ISBN 978-3-60876-258-7.