|Died||1884 (aged 48–49)|
|Education||Grekov Odessa Art school|
Imperial Academy of Arts
Chlebowski was born in the Ushitsky Uyezd of the Podolian Governorate of the Russian Empire (now Vinkivtsi Raion, Ukraine), and learned drawing in Grekov Odessa Art school. Between 1853-1859, he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg, and then on a scholarship for six years in Paris as the pupil of the French Orientalist painter Jean-Léon Gérôme. Chlebowski traveled to Spain, Italy, Germany, and Belgium. His first success was selling his painting Joanne d’Arc in Amiens Prison to Napoleon III of France.
In the years 1864-1876 Chlebowski was master painter for Sultan Abdülaziz and took up residence in Constantinople. Chlebowski became popular in the sultanate. During his services, he had obtained permission to bring with him a large icon of Mother of God Leading Our Way having been rescued from the Hodegon Monastery in 1453. He had come across it in one of the magasins with old relics, unheeded by the Ottoman keeper. This account is certified in a letter by the Comité National Polonais à Constantinople, dated June 27, 1938.
In 1876 he moved to Paris. In 1881 he returned permanently to Krakow. The subject matter of his watercolors and oil paintings is diverse. He painted images of historical battles related to the history of Turkey, oriental genre scenes, landscapes, and portraits of sultans. He died near Posen, in Rundhausen at age 49.
Chlebowski lived abroad for a long time and as a result his paintings were very rare in Poland. The National Museum in Krakow houses some of his other important Orientalist works such as Entrée de Mahomet II à Stamboul.
- Entry of Sultan Mehmed II to Constantinople at the Gate of the City (1873, Entrée de Mahomet II à Stamboul)
- Turkish sentry (1880)
- The time of prayer
- Sultan Bayezid in captivity of Tamerlane (1878)
Chess Players, Cairo
- Mendelsohn, Ezra (2002). Painting a People: Maurycy Gottlieb and Jewish Art. Brandeis University Press. p. 59. ISBN 978-1-58465-179-6.
- Janicki, Stanislaw. "Polish Art Collections in Michigan, Part 2 of 3" Creative Gene, August 04, 2006, retrieved on August 3, 2008.
- Stanisław Chlebowski, retrieved on August 3, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stanislaw Chlebowski.|
- "Stanisław Chlebowski" Agra Art, retrieved on August 3, 2008.
- Stanisław Chlebowski images of works on auction, retrieved on August 3, 2008.
- Auctioned works by Chlebowski database, artistsearch.com, retrieved on August 4, 2008.
|This article about a Polish painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|