1974 in art
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1974 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- 26 April – Nineteen Old Master paintings from the Beit collection are stolen from Russborough House in Ireland by a Provisional Irish Republican Army gang including English heiress Rose Dugdale.
- Roy Strong becomes Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Hallwalls, a non profit exhibition space and arts organization, is established in a converted ice packing warehouse in Buffalo, New York, by the artists Charles Clough, Robert Longo, Diane Bertolo, Nancy Dwyer, Larry Lundy, Cindy Sherman and Michael Zwack.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Bruce Beasley – Big Red (sculpture, Eugene, Oregon)
- Judy Dater – Imogen and Twinka at Yosemite (photograph)
- Silvio Gazzaniga – FIFA World Cup Trophy
- Nabil Kanso – Vietnam
- Bernard Kirschenbaum – Twist for Max
- Joan Miró
- Odd Nerdrum – Liberation
- Enzo Plazzotta – Crucifixion
- Tony Rosenthal – 5 in 1 (steel sculpture, New York City)
- Ruskin Spear – Harold Wilson
- Graham Sutherland – Lord Goodman
- David Wynne – Boy With a Dolphin (bronze, Cheyne Walk, London)
- Meet the Residents (album cover)
- 15 May – Kadir Nelson, African American illustrator.
- 31 May – Adrian Tomine, American cartoonist.
- 16 June – Paul Lee, English artist.
- 1 September – Jhonen Vasquez, American comic book artist, cartoonist and writer.
- 8 November – Masashi Kishimoto, Japanese mangaka.
- 13 November – Kerim Seiler, Swiss artist and architect.
- 7 December – Kang Full, South Korean webcomic artist.
Full date unknownEdit
- Banksy, English graffiti artist.
- Bogna Burska, Polish playwright and visual artist.
- Amelie Chabannes, French painter and sculptor.
- Fabrice Lachant, French photographer.
- OSGEMEOS (Otavio and Gustavo Pandolfo), Brazilian twin graffiti artists.
- Dulce Pinzon, Mexican-born visual artist.
- Bojan Šarčević, Bosnian-French visual artist.
- Bedwyr Williams, Welsh installation and performance artist.
January to JuneEdit
- 19 January – Edward Seago, English painter (b. 1910).
- 30 January – Robert Darwin, English painter and Rector of the Royal College of Art (b. 1910)
- 15 February – Petar Lubarda, Serbian painter (b. 1907).
- 4 March – Adolph Gottlieb, American abstract expressionist painter and sculptor (b. 1903).
- 9 March – Daniel O'Neill, Irish painter (b. 1920).
- 5 April – A. Y. Jackson, Canadian painter (b. 1882).
- 31 May – Juan Bautista Garcia, Puerto Rican painter (b. 1904).
- 7 June
- 22 June – Alain Saint-Ogan, French comics author and artist (b. 1895).
- 30 June – Frank McKelvey, Irish painter (b. 1895).
July to DecemberEdit
- 9 July – Georges Ribemont-Dessaignes, French writer and artist (b. 1884).
- 11 August – Jan Tschichold, German typographer, book designer, teacher and writer (b. 1902).
- August – André Edouard Marty, French artist (b. 1882).
- 8 September – James Swinnerton, American cartoonist and artist (b. 1875).
- 17 September – André Dunoyer de Segonzac, French painter and graphic artist (b. 1884).
- 28 October – David Jones, English poet and painter (b. 1895).
- 20 December – Risto Stijović, Serbian sculptor (b. 1894).
- 21 December – James Henry Govier, English painter (b. 1910).
- 25 December – Harry Kernoff, Irish painter (b. 1900).