Zsuzsanna Krajnyák (born 23 December 1978) is a Hungarian Paralympic wheelchair fencer. She has won 11 medals at the Paralympic Games, with the first two coming at the 2000 Summer Paralympics in Sydney, where she won two bronze medals. She has also won medals at European and World Championships. Krajnyák was nominated for the Laureus World Sports Award for Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability in 2006.
|Born||December 23, 1978|
Krajnyák was born on 23 December 1978.
Krajnyák first competed in the Paralympics at the 2000 Summer Paralympics where she won a bronze in the foil and épée events. Alongside a bronze in the épée event at the 2004 Summer Paralympics, Krajnyák also won a silver in the women's team foil and épée. After not medalling at the 2008 Summer Paralympics, Krajnyak won silver medals in the individual and team épée events in the 2012 Summer Paralympics. In 2016 she earned two Paralympic medals. She earned a silver medal in the team foil competition with a bronze in the team épée and individual foil competitions at the 2016 Summer Paralympics.
Outside of the Paralympics, Krajnyák has won medals in wheelchair fencing at the European Championships and World Championships competitions held by the International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports Federation. In the European Championships, she won four gold medals in 2011 and a gold in the women's foil in 2014. At the World Championships, Krajnyák won two bronzes in the women's team épée and foil events in 2013 and a silver in women's foil in 2015. Krajnyák also won gold at the 2017 World Championships in the women’s épée A event.
In the postponed 2020 Summer Paralympics in Tokyo she was part of Poland's team with Eva Hajmasi and Gyongyi Dani and they achieved the bronze medal position in the women’s team foil. The silver and gold medals were taken by Italy and China respectively.
Awards and honoursEdit
In 2006, Krajnyák was nominated for the Laureus World Sports Award for Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability. In 2016, Krajnyák was named the Disabled Sportswoman of the Year by the Hungarian Sports Journalists Association.
- "Zsuzsanna Krajnyak". Laureus. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "Zsuzsanna Krajnyak". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "Will 2016 be Zsuzsanna Krajnyak's golden year?". International Wheelchair & Amputee Sports Federation. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- Rowbottom, Mike. "Osváth and Krajnyak give Hungary golden start at IWAS Wheelchair Fencing World Championships". Inside the Games. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "Collis-McCann wins debut World Cup gold". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2021-06-28.
- "China end wheelchair fencing on a high after team foil golds at Tokyo 2020". www.insidethegames.biz. 29 August 2021. Retrieved 2021-08-29.
- "LAUREUS WORLD SPORTSPERSON OF THE YEAR 2006 WITH A DISABILITY - NOMINEES". World Sports Awards. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "The M4 Sport – Sportsman of the Year Gala was a great success!". DunaEvents. Retrieved 17 February 2018.