Zoe is a 2018 American romantic science fiction film directed by Drake Doremus and starring Ewan McGregor, Léa Seydoux, Christina Aguilera, Theo James, Rashida Jones, Miranda Otto, and Matthew Gray Gubler.
Official release poster
|Directed by||Drake Doremus|
|Screenplay by||Richard Greenberg|
|Music by||Dan Romer|
|Edited by||Douglas Crise|
|Distributed by||Amazon Studios|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
On August 19, 2016, it was announced that Charlie Hunnam and Léa Seydoux would star in the untitled sci-fi romance film, which Drake Doremus would direct from a script by Rich Greenberg who collaborated with Doremus on the Emmy winning web series The Beauty Inside. On October 25, 2016, Stuart Ford's IM Global came on board to fully finance the film, titled Zoe, with Scott Free Productions' Michael Pruss producing along with Doremus and Robert George. By May 2017, Ewan McGregor replaced Hunnam in the film, a supporting cast of Christina Aguilera, Theo James, Rashida Jones, Miranda Otto and Matthew Gray Gubler were added, and a filming start date of May 8 was established, with the filming taking place in Montreal.
The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 21, 2018. Prior to the premiere, Amazon Studios acquired distribution rights to the film in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Italy, Australia and New Zealand, while Netflix acquired distribution rights to release the film as a Netflix Original film in Japan and the Benelux. IM Global merged with Open Road Films (who previously co-released Gleason with Amazon) to form Global Road Entertainment.
The film was released on July 20, 2018.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 32%, based on 25 reviews, and an average rating of 4.3/10. Its consensus states "Zoe has some interesting ideas but never manages to get a satisfying grip on them, settling for slow-moving sci-fi that ultimately fails to engage." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Zoe". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Ford, Rebecca (August 19, 2016). "Charlie Hunnam, Lea Seydoux to Star in Drake Doremus' Next Film (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- Lodderhose, Diana (October 25, 2016). "IM Global Boards Drake Doremus' Love Story 'Zoe,' Starring Charlie Hunnam & Léa Seydoux". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved October 25, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (May 1, 2017). "Christina Aguilera, Theo James, Rashida Jones Join Sci-Fi Romance 'Zoe'". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Raup, Jordan (March 7, 2018). "Tribeca 2018 Lineup Includes 'Disobedience,' 'The Miseducation of Cameron Post,' 'The Seagull,' and More". The Film Stage. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- "Zoe". Tribeca Film Festival. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (April 20, 2018). "Amazon Prime Picks Up Drake Doremus Futuristic Love Story 'Zoe' – Tribeca". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Netflix Japan, 『ホンモノの気持ち』予告編 - Netflix, retrieved 2018-07-15
- Netflix Japan, Zoe Officiële trailer Netflix, retrieved 2018-07-15
- Fleming Jr, Mike (January 28, 2016). "Amazon Buys 'Gleason' Documentary, Open Road To Release In Theaters This Summer: Sundance". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (October 30, 2017). "IM Global, Open Road Owner Tang Media Rebrands as Global Road Entertainment". Variety. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- News Desk, TV (June 21, 2018). "Amazon Prime Video to Exclusively Launch ZOE Starring Ewan McGregor and Lea Seydoux on July 20". Broadway World. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- "Zoe (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- "Zoe Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved May 9, 2018.