Zero Set is the only album by the German electronic music trio of Dieter Moebius, Conny Plank, and Mani Neumeier. It followed two collaborations by Moebius & Plank as a duo. Zero Set was recorded in September, 1982 at Conny's Studio outside Cologne, and released by Sky Records in 1983.
|Studio album by|
|Producer||Conny Plank, Dieter Moebius, Mani Neumeier|
|Moebius & Plank chronology|
The music on Zero Set is strongly influenced by African rhythms and music. One track, "Recall", features Sudanese vocals by Deuka. Matthew Weiner describes it for Soulmind Online: "Though not a dance record per se, Zero Set is one of the earliest extensions of Krautrock’s possibilities on the dance floor, pitting the profoundly electronic sequence patterns of Plank and Moebius against the hyperactive percussives of Guru Guru drummer Mani Neumeier. On tracks such as the prophetically titled 'Speed Display' and 'Pitch Control', the phasing, chattering and decidedly Germanic grooves found on Zero Set constitute vibrant proto-techno at its earliest and finest." David Ross Smith, writing for Allmusic, describes the album: "...a highly percussive affair with Mani Neumeier. The album is saturated in drum and synth rhythms and polyrhythms, resulting in compositions that are energetic and infectious." Zero Set was a turning point for Moebius and Plank, a fact lamented by Steven and Alan Freeman in their book The Crack In The Cosmic Egg. They say, in part: "...working with Mani Neumeier on Zero Set strangely took the music too close to techno for comfort..."
Zero Set was reissued by the American Gyroscope label on CD on April 16, 1996. This was the first U.S. release for the album. It was also digitally remastered and reissued by Captain Trip Records in Japan on February 25, 2007.
- "Speed Display" (5:13)
- "Load" (5:20)
- "Pitch Control" (6:23)
- "All Repro" (3:28)
- "Recall" (8:34)
- "Search Zero" (8:38)
- Album liner notes
- Smith, David Ross Allmusic Review Retrieved September 19, 2007.
- Weiner, Matthew The Producers Retrieved September 19, 2007.
- Freeman, Steven and Freeman, Alan The Crack In The Cosmic Egg (Audion Publications, 1996) ISBN 0-9529506-0-X Retrieved September 7, 2007.
- Discogs Moebius Plank Neumeier - Zero Set Retrieved September 12, 2007.
- Captain Trip Records Cluster Digital Remasters Retrieved September 12, 2007.
- Anonymous Random Writings on Music and Other Things: German Rock Retrieved September 7, 2007.