Zac Dalpe (born November 1, 1989) is a Canadian professional centre who currently plays for the Cleveland Monsters in the American Hockey League (AHL) while under contract to the Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League (NHL). Drafted 45th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in 2008, Dalpe played in the British Columbia Hockey League and Central Collegiate Hockey Association before turning professional.
November 1, 1989|
Paris, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
|NHL team (P)|
Columbus Blue Jackets|
Cleveland Monsters (AHL)
45th overall, 2008|
|Representing Canada West|
|World Junior A Challenge|
Dalpe grew up playing minor hockey in his hometown of Paris, Ontario for the Paris Wolfpack of the Ontario Minor Hockey Association (OMHA)'s Southern Counties League. He later played for the Brantford 99'ers AAA club in Western Ontario's Pavilion League. In 2004-05, Dalpe advanced to the AAA Minor Midget level for the 99'ers.
Listed in his Ontario Hockey League (OHL) draft year at just 5'5" and 115 lbs., Dalpe went unselected in the 2005 OHL Priority Selection and returned to play AAA Major Midget in 2005-06.
Junior and CollegeEdit
After playing Major Midget, Dalpe signed with the Stratford Cullitons Junior B club of the Midwestern Ontario Hockey League for 2006-07. The following year, Dalpe headed to Western Canada and signed with the British Columbia Hockey League's Penticton Vees Junior A club in 2007-08.
After that season, Dalpe was drafted in the 2nd round (26th overall) of the 2008 OHL Priority Draft by the Plymouth Whalers. That same year, he was selected by the Carolina Hurricanes (2nd round, 45th overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Dalpe did not play for Plymouth or Carolina (Hurricanes/River Rats/Checkers) that year. Instead, he chose to accept an NCAA scholarship at Ohio State University for the 2008-09 campaign. He played for the Buckeyes for two seasons before making the jump to professional hockey.
Dalpe played in his first NHL game on October 7, 2010, after impressing the Hurricanes during training camp and surviving several rounds of cuts. Dalpe recorded an assist in the game for his first NHL point. He scored his first NHL goal on January 1, 2011 against Johan Hedberg of the New Jersey Devils. Prior to the start of the 2013–14 season Dalpe, along with Jeremy Welsh, was traded to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Kellan Tochkin and a fourth round selection in the 2014 NHL Draft.
Dalpe was not tendered a qualifying offer by the Sabres, and on the first day of free agency signed a one-year, two way contract with the Minnesota Wild on July 1, 2015. He scored his first goal for the Wild as their only goal on April 9, 2016 against Niklas Backstrom of the Calgary Flames.
Dalpe made the Wild's opening night roster for the 2016–17 season, appearing in 9 games for 3 points before suffering a knee injury, requiring surgery, against the Dallas Stars on October 30, 2016. Upon his return to health, Dalpe was reassigned to AHL affiliate, the Iowa Wild, before suffering a second knee injury. On February 27, 2017, Dalpe was placed on waivers; he was claimed by the Columbus Blue Jackets. He was immediately reassigned to the AHL to play with the Jackets' affiliate, the Cleveland Monsters.
On June 9, 2017, the Blue Jackets re-signed Dalpe to a two-year, two-way contract extension. Dalpe started the 2017–18 season on the Blue Jackets' NHL roster before he was later returned to the Monsters after 12 games.
|2008–09||Ohio State Buckeyes||CCHA||37||13||12||25||25||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Ohio State Buckeyes||CCHA||39||21||24||45||19||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Albany River Rats||AHL||9||6||1||7||0||8||3||3||6||0|
|2017–18||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||12||0||0||0||13||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018–19||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||1||0||1||1||0||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honoursEdit
|All-CCHA Rookie Team||2009|
|All-CCHA First Team||2010|
|AHCA West Second-Team All-American||2010|
- "Zac Dalpe Stats". Elite Prospects. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- Bellefeuille, Casandra. "Dalpe thrives at Hurricanes' camp and inches closer to NHL dream". www.parisstaronline.com. Retrieved 2010-10-07.
- Ratcliff, Mark. "Cary-lina Hurricanes: Time to Lace 'em Up!". carycitizen.com. Retrieved 2010-10-07.
- "Canucks acquire Zac Dalpe, Jeremy Welsh from Hurricanes". CBC. 2013-09-29. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- "Sabres sign forward Zac Dalpe". Sabresdigitalpressbox.com. 2014-07-13. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "Wild signs Dalpe, Fedotenko and Hagel". Minnesota Wild. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-07-01.
- "Flames rally to hand Wild fifth straight loss". wild.nhl.com. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- "Dalpe claimed off waivers; Wild's Boudreau, players react to Hanzal trade". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "Blue Jackets sign Dalpe to two-year extension". Columbus Blue Jackets. 2017-06-09. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "Columbus Blue Jackets set season-opening roster". Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Blue Jackets sign Zac Daple to two-year extension". Columbus Blue Jackets. February 27, 2019. Retrieved February 27, 2019.