Yumbi is a town and territory in Plateaux District of Bandundu Province in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It lies on the eastern bank of the Congo River between Bolobo and Lukolela. Yumbi is the headquarters of the Yumbi Territory. Yumbi's population is approximately 30,000.
|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
Between December 16 and 18, 2018 at least 890 people were killed in four villages of the Yumbi territory, as reported by the UNHCR. Around 465 houses and buildings were burned or looted, including 2 primary schools, 2 health centres, one market and the local Independant National Electoral Commission office. The motives of this massacre remain unclear but the UN hints to "clashes between Banunu and Batende communities". The real figure of people that were killed remains unknow because "there are most probably corpses that were thrown away in the river, and people that died in their burning homes."
- National Geographic Atlas of the World: Revised Sixth Edition, National Geographic Society, 1992
- Blaes, X. (October 2008). "Découpage administratif de la République Démocratique du Congo" (PDF). UNOCHA and PNUD. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-04-01. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- "DRC: Experts revise figures on Yumbi tornado - only 17 dead". www.irinnews.org. IRIN. 10 February 2003. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (2003-02-10). "DRC: Experts revise figures on Yumbi tornado - only 17 dead". IRIN news. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (2003-02-06). "DRC: Tornado toll rises to 164 dead, 1,702 injured". IRIN news. Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- Radio Okapi (2019-01-21). "DRC: Desperate displaced persons on Yumbi islands". Radio Okapi. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
- Radio France Internationale (2019-01-16). "DRC: UN reports at least 890 dead in Yumbi in December". Radio France Internationale. Retrieved 2019-01-25.
|This Democratic Republic of the Congo location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|