Khan was a member of the Swedish Green Party, but left the party due to heavy criticism for refusing to shake hands with a female reporter from TV4. Khan himself stated that he was raised in the way that a handshake was too intimate, but didn't mean to disrespect women, and also noted that politics was not the right field for him.
Khan was invited to participate in the United States' International Visitor Leadership Program in 2011. This experience is run by the U.S. Department of State "through public-private partnerships and tax payer funding.
Gryningeskolan charter schoolEdit
Khan was chairman of company Johai which ran the Gryningeskolan between 2015 and 2017 charter school with a Swedish-Muslim profile in Botkyrka for academic years 1–6. The school offered extracurricular teaching of Arabic and Islam. In 2012, the municipality rejected the school's application to extend its education to academic years 7–9, which was motivated by the municipality having reservations on how faith schools contribute to segregation. The school received heavy criticism from the Swedish School Inspectorate. On 25 June 2018, the inspectorate revoked Johai's permission to continue running the school due to a number of deficiencies:
- "Yasri Khan lämnar politiska uppdrag efter kritikstormen". Aftonbladet. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- ONLINE, RP. "Rücktritt nach Proteststurm in Schweden: Muslimischer Grüner verweigert Journalistin Handschlag". RP ONLINE (in German). Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "Yasri Khan: Nu lämnar jag alla mina uppdrag för Miljöpartiet". Nyheter24. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- Falk, J. (2 April 2011). "A Leader for Peace / En Ordförande For Fred". Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). Retrieved 24 April 2016.
DN met with Yasri Kahn just before traveling away on tour in the United States, invited by the country's foreign ministry / DN träffar Yasri Kahn innan han ska ge sig i väg på rundresa i USA, inbjuden av landets utrikesdepartement. Det är International visitor leadership program, IVLP,
- "Yasri Khan". Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). 2011-04-02. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
Current: Is traveling in the United States under the auspices of the International Visitor Leadership Program / Aktuell: Är på resa i USA i regi av International visitor leadership program. /
- "The IVLP Experience". Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. United States Department of State. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
International Visitors typically travel to four U.S. communities over three weeks
- "About ECA". Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. United States Department of State. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
ECA serves as part of the Public Affairs arm of the U.S. Department of State. Through public-private partnerships and tax payer funding the bureau manages a host of professional, academic, cultural and athletic exchanges.
- "Fick nog – byter skola till dottern". Mitt i Stockholm (in Swedish). Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- ""Här kan barnen känna sig svenska"". stockholmdirekt.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- "Skolinspektionen återkallar tillstånd för Gryningeskolan". www.skolinspektionen.se (in Swedish). 25 June 2018. Archived from the original on 15 July 2018. Retrieved 2018-07-14.