Yael Stone (born 6 March 1985) is an Australian actress. She has worked extensively in Australian theatre and has won two Sydney Theatre Awards. Outside of Australian theatre, she is best known for her portrayal of Lorna Morello in the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black.
6 March 1985 |
|Alma mater||National Institute of Dramatic Art|
|Spouse(s)||Dan Spielman (m. 2012; divorce 2016)|
|Partner(s)||Jack Manning Bancroft (2017)|
Early life and educationEdit
Stone was born and raised in Sydney, the daughter of Judy, a nurse, and Harry Stone, an architect. Her father was born in Czechoslovakia, to Holocaust survivor parents. Yael's father is from a Jewish and Romanian family, and her mother converted to Judaism. Her brother, Jake Stone, was the lead singer of the band Bluejuice. Her sister, Elana Stone, is also a musician.
Stone began acting as a child, with roles in the film Me Myself I and the miniseries The Farm. She worked primarily in theatre; at the 2008 Sydney Theatre Awards, she won the awards for Best Newcomer and Best Supporting Actress for her performance in The Kid. She also worked in television, including supporting roles in All Saints and Spirited. From 2010 to 2011, she appeared in The Diary of a Madman, a role for which she was again nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Sydney Theatre Awards. In February 2011, she traveled to New York City to perform in the Brooklyn Academy of Music's production of The Diary of a Madman, before returning to lead roles in A Golem Story, Summer of the Seventeenth Doll, and As You Like It in Sydney.
Stone moved to New York permanently in December 2011 and co-founded an experimental theatre company. After four months in New York, she was cast in the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black, a show set in a women's prison. Stone plays Lorna Morello, a prisoner from New Jersey; her accent, a mixture of Brooklyn and Boston, was called "the most amazing accent on television" by a journalist for The New Republic, while another reviewer deemed the role to be Stone's "breakout turn". She reprised her role in the show's second season, and was billed as a series regular in the third season.
She has also appeared on the web series High Maintenance.
In 2012, Stone married Australian actor Dan Spielman, with whom she lived in New York City. In July 2017, Stone announced that her marriage had ended over a year ago. Stone is also an atheist.  Stone is currently dating AIME Mentoring founder Jack Manning Bancroft. On November 23rd, 2017, it was announced they are expecting their first child. 
|1999||Me Myself I||Stacy Dickson|
|2017||The Wilde Wedding||Clementine||Completed|
|2001||The Farm||Young Sam Cooper||Miniseries|
|2007–2008||All Saints||Ann-Marie Preston||14 episodes|
|2013–present||Orange Is the New Black||Lorna Morello||34 episodes
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
|2015||Childhood's End||Peretta Jones||Miniseries|
|2015–2016||High Maintenance||Beth||3 episodes|
|2016||Deep Water||Tori Lustigman||Miniseries, 4 episodes|
|2017||Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero||General Bighorn (voice)||1 episode|
- The 'kooky' life of Orange Is the New Black's Yael Stone | The Saturday Paper
- A Golem Story (interview with Yael Stone) | .ReviewMania
- McGuire, Michaela (2 May 2015). "The 'kooky' life of Orange Is the New Black's Yael Stone". The Saturday Paper. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- 'I'd rather be invisible': Orange is the New Black star Yael Stone speaks about stardom | West Coast Sentinel
- Spring, Alexandra (12 December 2011). "Actress Yael Stone bites the acting bullet". Vogue Australia. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Cronin, Seanna (2 November 2013). "Yael Stone takes lead in Orange is the New Black". The Toowoomba Chronicle. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Keenan, Catherine (17 January 2011). "Love's locks lost for brushes with lunacy". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Stone, Jake (8 May 2013). "Yael Stone On Orange Is The New Black, And Trying To Make It In New York". Junkee. Junkee.com. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- Bennett, Laura (23 August 2013). "Meet the Australian Actress Who Does the Most Amazing Accent on Television". The New Republic. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Groves, Don (15 July 2013). "Orange is the New Black for Yael Stone". IF Magazine. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Richards, Holly (6 November 2013). "Breakout role for Aussie Yael Stone". The West Australian. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (6 November 2013). "Yael Stone Upped To Regular On 'Orange', Jonathan Adams On 'Last Man Standing'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- Stone, Yael (July 6, 2017). "For the record; my marriage ended a year ago. An awkward but necessary clarification. I've got amazing people by my side and ❤️ in my heart". Twitter. Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- http://www.thegloss.com/culture/yael-stone-childhoods-end-orange-is-the-new-black-interview/. Missing or empty
- chillifm.com.au. "Actress Yael Stone expecting first baby". www.chillifm.com.au. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- Yael Stone on IMDb
- 'An Accent Can Tell A Big Story,' Says 'Orange Is The New Black's' Yael Stone (WBUR audio story, including examples of her accent and her influences)