|Qute Ruoshi Zhujiu Chanyu|
|Father||Huxie Shizhu Houti|
In 140 AD, the Xiongnu chieftains Wusi, Cheniu, and Yiti rebelled. They raided across the north of the Ordos region and attacked Xiuli's capital at Meiji in Xihe Commandery. The Han general Ma Xu forced them back but they continued to plunder the countryside. The Han court was angry with the predicament and reprimanded Xiuliu for it. Xiuli committed suicide in 142 AD and Cheniu claimed the title of chanyu in the autumn.
- Crespigny 2007, p. 899.
- Barfield, Thomas (1989), The Perilous Frontier: Nomadic Empires and China, Basil Blackwell
- Bichurin N.Ya., "Collection of information on peoples in Central Asia in ancient times", vol. 1, Sankt Petersburg, 1851, reprint Moscow-Leningrad, 1950
- Chang, Chun-shu (2007), The Rise of the Chinese Empire 1, The University of Michigan Press
- Cosmo, Nicola Di (2002), Ancient China and Its Enemies, Cambridge University Press
- Cosmo, Nicola di (2009), Military Culture in Imperial China, Harvard University Press
- Crespigny, Rafe de (2007), A Biographical Dictionary of Later Han to the Three Kingdoms, Brill
- Loewe, Michael (2000), A Biographical Dictionary of the Qin, Former Han, and Xin Periods, Brill
- Taskin B.S., "Materials on Sünnu history", Science, Moscow, 1968, p. 31 (In Russian)
- Whiting, Marvin C. (2002), Imperial Chinese Military History, Writers Club Press