Wu Shuqing (economist)
Wu Shuqing (Chinese: 吴树青; 3 January 1932 – 10 January 2020) was a Chinese economist and educator. He was president of Peking University from August 1989 to August 1996 and vice-president of Renmin University of China.
|President of Peking University|
August 1989 – August 1996
|Preceded by||Ding Shisun|
|Succeeded by||Chen Jia'er|
|Born||3 January 1932|
Jiangyin, Jiangsu, Republic of China
|Died||10 January 2020 (aged 88)|
Beijing, People's Republic of China
|Political party||Communist Party of China|
|Alma mater||Renmin University of China|
|Institutions||Renmin University of China|
|Main interests||China's economy after reform and opening up|
|Notable works||First of All, We Need to Find out What Socialism Is|
Chinese Socialist Construction
China's Macroeconomic Management
Wu was born in Jiangyin, Jiangsu, Republic of China (1912-1949) on 3 January 1932. He attended Changshu Middle School and Shanghai High School. In August 1948, after the liberation of Tongxiang County, he was a staff member at the County Party Committee. In July 1952, he studied, then taught, at Renmin University of China, he served in several posts there, including instructor, professor, doctoral supervisor, and vice-president. He joined the Communist Party of China in 1955. In August 1989, he was appointed president of Peking University, replacing Ding Shisun, who did not prevent students of Peking University from joining the Tiananmen Square protests. When his term ended, he continued to serve as a professor, honorary director of the Council and president of Education Foundation at the university. On 10 January 2020, he died of an illness at Beijing Hospital, aged 88.
- 吴树青自选集 [A Personal Anthology of Wu Shuqing] (in Chinese). Beijing: Learning Press. 2003. ISBN 9787801163783.
- 政治经济学 [Political Economics] (in Chinese). Beijing: Higher Education Press. 2018. ISBN 9787040502527.
- 科学发展与社会和谐 [Scientific Development and Social Harmony] (in Chinese). Beijing: Peking University Press. 2008. ISBN 9787301135303.
- Huang Chibo (黄驰波) (12 January 2020). 北大原校长吴树青逝世！系著名经济学家，曾提出学术打假不能假打. Tencent (in Chinese). Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- Liu Debin (刘德宾) (13 January 2020). 北京大学原校长吴树青遗体告别仪式将于14日举行. sina (in Chinese). Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- 前北大校长丁石孙去世 曾放任学生参加八九六四. Radio Free Asia (in Chinese). 12 October 2019. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- Xiao Shan (小山) (13 October 2019). 或涉六四与拒毛新宇 北大前校长丁石孙享93高寿逝世. Radio France International (in Chinese). Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- Liao Jin (廖瑾) (12 January 2020). 著名经济学家、北京大学原校长吴树青逝世，享年88岁. The Paper (in Chinese). Retrieved 13 January 2020.
| President of Peking University