Woodsetts is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England, on the border with Nottinghamshire. It lies between the towns of Dinnington and Worksop at an elevation of around 60 metres above sea level, and has a population of 1,802 reducing to 1,746 at the 2011 Census.
Woodsetts village from the north
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
The first written record of Woodsetts is in a 13th-century quitclaim (dated 1220) held at the Derbyshire Record Office (Hatfield de Rodes papers) where a bovate of land 'in the territory of Lyndrick, in Wudsetes' is mentioned. Other geographical locations mentioned nearby confirm that it is Woodsetts being referred to.
There is one pub: The Butcher's Arms, and a primary school: Woodsetts Junior and Infant School. There is also a small shopping precinct and two churches: St George's (Church of England) and Woodsetts Methodist Church.
To the north of Woodsetts is the smaller satellite settlement of Gildingwells.
Rotherham Borough Council twice refused planning permission for exploration at Woodsetts with regard to shale gas hydraulic fracturing (fracking) in 2018, in March and September. A further public enquiry is to be held in June 2019.
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Rotherham Retrieved 28 August 2009
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Church of England Diocese of Sheffield: Woodsetts: St George achurchnearyou.com, Retrieved 30 April 2019
- Woodsetts Methodist Church, Woodsetts, South Yorkshire joinmychurch.com, Retrieved 30 April 2019
- "Shale gas and hydraulic fracturing (fracking): Fracking in Rotherham: Woodsetts Application]". rotherham.gov.uk. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- "Ruth Hayhurst: Village crowdfunds to fight shale gas plans by the UK's richest man". drillordrop.com. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- Pidd, Helen; Gold, Harry (11 June 2019). "Yorkshire village faces petrochemical giant in anti-fracking fight". theguardian.com. Retrieved 15 June 2019.