Won Jeong-sik (born 9 December 1990) is a South Korean weightlifter, Olympian, and World Champion competing in the 69 kg category until 2018 and 73 kg starting in 2018 after the International Weightlifting Federation reorganized the categories.
Won at the 2016 Olympics
|Born||9 December 1990|
Cheolweon, Gangwon, South Korea
|Height||1.63 m (5 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||72.57 kg (160 lb)|
|Club||Korea National Sport University|
|Coached by||Ahn Hyo-jak|
In 2017 he competed at the 2017 World Weightlifting Championships where he won the gold medal in the 69 kg division, in doing so he became the first Korean athlete to win a gold medal in this event. This was his first gold medal at the World Weightlifting Championships and his first major medal (he won a bronze medal in the clean & jerk at the 2011 World Weightlifting Championships).
In 2018 the International Weightlifting Federation reorganized the categories and Won competed in the newly created 73 kg division. He competed in the B session, and in the process of winning the silver medal he set a new world record in the clean & jerk with a lift of 195 kg. This was overtaken later in the day by Shi Zhiyong (who would later win the gold medal) with a clean & jerk of 196 kg, done in the A session.
|Year||Venue||Weight||Snatch (kg)||Clean & Jerk (kg)||Total||Rank|
|2012||London, United Kingdom||69 kg||144||11||178||6||322||7|
|2016||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||69 kg||143||9||172||177||9||320||8|
|2011||Paris, France||69 kg||140||144||10||177||182||326||6|
|2015||Houston, United States||69 kg||141||14||—||—||—|
|2017||Anaheim, United States||69 kg||142||146||148||178||326|
|2018||Ashgabat, Turkmenistan||73 kg||145||150||153||6||180||190||195 WR||348|
|2010||Guangzhou, China||69 kg||140||6||170||6||310||6|
|2014||Incheon, South Korea||69 kg||143||6||170||—||10||313||6|
|2018||Jakarta, Indonesia||69 kg||145||5||—||—||—|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Won Jeong-sik.|
- Jeongsik Won. nbcolympics.com
- PDF listing of 2018 Group A world championship entrants in 73 kg
- "Rio 2016: S. Korean Yoon Jin-hee wins bronze in women's weightlifting". The Korea Times. 8 August 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- Jeongsik Won. London 2012
- Won Jeong-Sik. sports-reference.com
- "WON Jeongsik". Rio 2016. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Inside The Games. "South Korea's Won claims men's 69kg title as home hope Cummings Jr bombs out at 2017 IWF World Championships". Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- IWF.net. "Won Won". Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- IWF.net. "China won Gold – once again". Retrieved 31 December 2018.