Winter Morning Walks
Winter Morning Walks is a studio album by Maria Schneider and Dawn Upshaw. The album won Grammy Award for Best Classical Contemporary Composition and Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album, Classical in 2014.
|Winter Morning Walks|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||2 and 3 May 2012; 26 and 27 September 2012|
|Studio||American Academy of Arts and Letters, Ted Mann Concert Hall at the University of Minnesota|
|Genre||Jazz, big band|
|Maria Schneider chronology|
|All About Jazz|||
Vincent Plush of The Australian wrote "Schneider's music hails from the glorious American tradition of song-setting from Gershwin to Sondheim, framed in the open prairie sonorities of Copland and gentle jazz-inflected barbs of John Adams. It flows in an unbroken expressive stream, lyrical and ingratiating to the ear. Her melodies elevate Kooser's prosaic lines, suggesting an opera composer of uncommon promise".
Fred Kaplan of Stereophile stated: "This is gorgeous music. There are shards and strands of Copland, Sondheim, Barber, and Ives, though the sound is distinctively Schneider, who is ever-evolving into a composer of—beyond genre—Great American Music".
- McClenaghan, Dan (April 16, 2013). "Dawn Upshaw/Maria Schneider: Winter Morning Walks". All About Jazz. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- PLUSH, VINCENT (April 13, 2013). "Winter Morning Walks (Dawn Upshaw, Maria Schneider)". The Australian. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Clements, Andrew (3 May 2013). "Schneider: Winter Morning Walks; Carlos Drummond de Andrade Stories – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "Dawn Upshaw, Maria Schneider, Australian Chamber Orchestra, The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra – Winter Morning Walks". Discogs. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "SCHNEIDER Winter Morning Walks". Gramophone. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- "Singing The Praises Of Pre-Dawn Walks". NPR. April 1, 2013. Retrieved 20 July 2018.
- Kaplan, Fred (May 31, 2013). "Maria Schneider's Winter Morning Walks". Stereophile. Retrieved 20 July 2018.