Stereophile is a monthly American audiophile magazine which reviews high-end audio equipment, such as loudspeakers and amplifiers, and audio-related news. Stereophile is the highest-circulation hi-fi magazine in the Americas and possibly the world.
|Technical Editor||John Atkinson|
|Founder||J. Gordon Holt|
|First issue||September 1962|
|Based in||New York City|
In 1998, Stereophile was acquired by the Petersen Publishing Company. At this point, it was based in Santa Fe, New Mexico. During this period, it was published eight times a year. Petersen, which was acquired by Emap, was then sold to Primedia Inc. in 2001. Primedia sold its Enthusiast Network, a New York–based publisher of special interest magazines, to Source Interlink Media, in 2007.
In March 2018, Stereophile was purchased, along with related magazines and websites, by AVTech Media Ltd. from The Enthusiast Network.
On March 1, 2019, John Atkinson, who had joined the magazine in May 1986, announced that he was stepping down from his position of editor of Stereophile, that he would continue his association with the magazine as Technical Editor, and that Jim Austin, formerly an editor at Science and a freelance contributor to Stereophile, would be taking over as Editor.
Features include its annual "Records to Die For" section, where each editor and writer reviews two outstanding albums of their choice; and the bi-annual "Recommended Components" issue in which audio equipment which has been reviewed in the recent past is classified as "A, B, C or D" level components, with "A" being the most highly recommended.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Audit Bureau of Circulations. Archived from the original on July 24, 2012. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Frank Hoffmann (November 12, 2004). Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound. Routledge. p. 2023. ISBN 978-1-135-94950-1. Retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Petersen Publishing Agrees to Acquire Stereophile, Inc". Stereophile.com. 1998-05-17. Retrieved 2019-11-11.
- Atkinson, John (Nov 17, 2002). "40 Years of Stereophile: What Happened When Page 6". Stereophile. Retrieved July 20, 2023.
- "Magazine Publisher Is Selling Special-Interest Unit for $1.15 Billion". The New York Times. Reuters. May 15, 2007.
- "AVTech Media Ltd (UK) Acquires Home Tech Network From Ten Publishing Media". Stereophile.com. 2018-03-22. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- "Stereophile: the Next Generation". Stereophile.com. 2019-03-01. Retrieved 2019-07-25.