William Kerr, 3rd Marquess of Lothian
William Kerr, 3rd Marquess of Lothian, 1690 – 28 July 1767) was a Scottish nobleman, styled Master of Jedburgh from 1692 to 1703 and Lord Jedburgh from 1703 to 1722.(c.
He succeeded to the Marquessate of Lothian in 1722 and was elected a representative peer in 1731, sitting in the House of Lords until 1761. From 1732 to 1738, Lothian was Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, and he was appointed a Knight of the Thistle in 1734. From 1739 until his resignation in 1756, he was Lord Clerk Register.
On 7 December 1711, he married Margaret Nicolson, daughter of Sir Thomas Nicolson, 1st Baronet and Margaret (née Nicolson) Hamilton Nicolson. His wife's mother was previously married to James Hamilton of Ballincrieff, with whom she had Alexander Hamilton of Ballincrieff. They had three children:
- William Henry Kerr, 4th Marquess of Lothian (1710–1775)
- Lord Robert Kerr (d. 1746), who was killed at the Battle of Culloden.
- Lady Jane Kerr, who died young.
His first wife died on 30 September 1759 at Newbattle Abbey and was buried there. He subsequently married his cousin Jean Janet Kerr, daughter of Lord Charles Kerr of Cramond and Janet Murray, on 1 October 1760, by whom he had no issue. Lothian died at Lothian House, Canongate, Edinburgh, and was buried at Newbattle; his wife died at Lothian House on 26 December 1787.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour (1908). The Scots Peerage: Innermeath-Mar. D. Douglas. p. 480.
- Stevenson, J. H.; Hallen, The Rev. A. W. Cornelius (1889). Northern Notes & Queries: or The Scottish Antiquary, Vol. III. Edinburgh: W. Green and Sons. p. 54. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- The Letters of Horace Walpole, Earl of Orford, Vol. II 1744-1753 (1840 pub. Richard Bentley), page 136 & footnote, Letter to Sir Horace Mann, 1st August 1746: ..the Marquis of Lothian in weepers for his son who fell at Culloden... Footnote: William Ker, third Marquis of Lothian. Lord Robert Ker, who was killed at Culloden, was his second son. - D.
The Earl of Loudoun
| Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland
The Earl of Hyndford
The Earl of Selkirk
| Lord Clerk Register
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Marquess of Lothian
|This article about a Scottish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a marquess in the peerage of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|