|This meetup page is an archive of a past event. Please do not edit the contents of this page.|
The 18th Wikipedia Meetup NYC Salon will be held on Sunday, March 21, 2010 in the Columbia University area. Join us for an open afternoon discussion session on Wikipedia and Wikimedia (and Wikimedia NYC) issues, before we head out to dinner together.
Topics on the agenda will include a review of the recent Wikipedia Day NYC, our Wikimania 2011 bid for New York City, and other topics, including the developing projects with the Wikimedia NYC interns.
What, Where, When, and How?Edit
There is one public meeting in the afternoon at Columbia University, where we take further steps to organize the Wikimedia New York City local chapter, and provide a salon-style forum for discussion of Wikipedia and Wikimedia issues.
Additionally, there is an optional post-meeting dinner at a neighborhood restaurant.
Main public meetingEdit
(to discuss Wikipedia issues and Wikimedia NYC chapter issues):
- 1402 Pupin Hall, Columbia University. Enter the Columbia campus at 116th Street and Broadway. Pupin Hall is located in the Northwest corner of the campus, next to the large building under construction. Take the elevator to the 13th floor and then walk up one flight of stairs. Meeting to be held in the library at the east end of the hall. 2:30 PM - 5:00PM
Optional post-meeting meetupEdit
- Meetup at Columbia, and then walk together to a neighborhood restaurant, to be decided upon. After dinner, we can return to Pupin Hall for an observing session with the telescopes on the roof, weather permitting. 5:00 PM onwards.
Late arrival info and TransportationEdit
If you plan on arriving late, and are concerned about not finding your way to the group, you can drop your mobile phone number ahead of time at Special:Emailuser/Pharos (e-mail will not be able to be checked during the actual meetup time; leave requests ahead of time).
Nearby subway stations:
- 116th Street – Columbia University (IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line) (That's the number 1 train)
Bring your own ideas!
- Follow-up on ideas raised in the November meeting and since.
- Chapter business
- Incorporation follow-up- 501(c)(3) status, etc
- Internship Program with Gabriel—including the Lights Camera Wiki! initiative with the Open Video Alliance and its Architecture subproject
- Internship Program with Archana—working with Dot NYC about the future .nyc domain and wiki content on city neighborhoods, and potential Wikiversity role
- Future Wikipedia at the Library events in planning at the New York Area Theological Library Association and elsewhere
- Ongoing discussions with the New York Public Library and the UN Photo office
- Initial planning for Wiki-Conference NYC II in August 2010, and for next year our Wikimania 2011 New York City bid
- Upcoming international Wikimedia meetings: Chapters meeting in April @ Berlin, Fundraising meeting in May @ London, Wikimania 2010 in July @ Gdansk
- Filmmaker Trina Rodriguez will be interviewing some individual Wikipedians in a side room during breaks (you can let her know if you are interested in participating)
- Growing partnerships through Free Culture Alliance NYC- 12 members and counting!
- Other suggestions for projects?
- Speakers and roundtable discussions
- I would like to have a discussion about WP:SYN and WP:V; additional details can be found on this user subpage. --RoyGoldsmith (talk) 19:22, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
User:ScienceApologist on climate change, alternative medicine, UFOs and Transcendental Meditation.Unfortunately, SciAp won't be able to join us on Sunday.--Pharos (talk) 23:45, 18 March 2010 (UTC)
- Possible roundtable discussion: Why does Wikipedia have such a higher profile than the other Wikimedia projects? How can we raise the profile of the others?
- (Possible) Demonstration of new Ideagraph UI (http://ideagra.ph) and how to conduct Wikipedia-related discussions/consensus-building on the site
Attendees of recordEdit
- Wikipedians/Wikimedians, from the sign-up sheet.
Topics of discussionEdit
We started off with some chapter project discussions, and in particular our Wikimania 2011 New York City bid.
And it all ended with family-style dinner at Ollie's Noodle Shop.