The English Wikipedia was launched on January 15, 2001. The 20th anniversary will be January 15, 2021.
Although we cannot celebrate in person, we will have several events to mark the occasion. All are welcome!
Friday, January 15 2021 scheduleEdit
|Time (EST)||Title||Organizer||Link to join|
|11:00-12:00 (convert time)||Global broadcast: virtual birthday celebration of Wikipedia||Wikimedia Foundation||YouTube|
|12:30-14:00 (convert time)||Wikipedia @20 panel
Join contributors to Wikipedia @20, published by MIT Press, as they discuss the history and future of Wikipedia. What's changed -- or even flipped -- over the 20 years of Wikipedia's development, and what has stayed the same?
|Phoebe, Reagle||View on Youtube here. (You can register here to get a reminder email/calendar invite, registration not required)|
|17:00-18:00 (convert time)||Happy Birthday Wikipedia happy hour
Join friends and colleagues to socialize in the wonder.me lounge, see a quick video retrospective and toast to Wikipedia's 20th birthday (at 17:30EST), sponsored by WikiConference North America
|Phoebe, Fuzheado||WCNA lounge|
|18:00-19:00 (convert time)||Wikipedia Day 2021 NYC
We will begin the event with the debut of a new video celebrating our New York City community. This will be followed by a panel discussion with some of the 20 Wiki-Yorkers you'll see in the video talking about Wikipedia's 20th anniversary, and the amazing work they do on Wikimedia projects locally angd globally.
Wikipedia @20 detailsEdit
Join us Friday, Jan 15 at 12:30EST for a panel with contributors to the book Wikipedia@20, co-hosted by Wikimedia New England, Wikipedia Weekly and the MIT Libraries. You can view the panel here, via the Wikipedia Weekly channel. Panelists will include:
- Joseph Reagle, collection editor, The Many (Reported) Deaths of Wikipedia
- Jackie Koerner, collection editor, Wikipedia Has a Bias Problem
- Brian Keegan, An Encyclopedia with Breaking News
- Phoebe Ayers, Wikipedia and Libraries
- Alexandria Lockett, Why Do I Have Authority to Edit the Page? The Politics of User Agency and Participation on Wikipedia
- Denny Vrandečić, Collaborating on the Sum of All Knowledge Across Languages
- Benjamin Mako Hill, The Most Important Laboratory for Social Scientific and Computing Research in History
- Siân Evans, What We Talk About When We Talk About Community
- Stephen Harrison, From Anarchy to Wikiality, Glaring Bias to Good Cop: Press Coverage of Wikipedia’s First Two Decades
You can register here to get a reminder email/calendar invite, registration not required.
We had a similar panel with different contributors to the collection at WikiConference North America, in November 2019; see video of that panel here.
Other events happening before / afterEdit
- m:WikiConference_North_America/2020 - WikiConference North America (virtual), Dec 11-13
- WikiData and Public Domain day edit-a-thon - January 8th, 1-4pm EST. registration
- See other Wikipedia 20 celebration events around the world here!
- Public domain day celebration / editathon - January 17th, 6:30pm
- New England conference - in the works! Stay tuned :)
- Everyone is welcome. Registration is not required, but you can register for the panel here in order to get an email reminder. You can also sign up below to indicate interest:
- phoebe / (talk to me) 18:14, 3 December 2020 (UTC)
- Librarian lena (talk) 15:09, 4 December 2020 (UTC)
- PMCH2 (talk) 16:25, 7 December 2020 (UTC)
- – SJ + 18:27, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Gkuriger (talk) 21:48, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- econterms (talk) 03:37, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
- Geraldshields11 (talk) 14:33, 18 December 2020 (UTC)
- Intellec7 (talk) 01:27, 19 December 2020 (UTC)
- Reagle (talk) 21:05, 21 December 2020 (UTC)
- Stephenbharrison (talk) 22:38, 21 December 2020 (UTC)
- KarenJoyce (talk) 16:21, 24 December 2020 (UTC)
- Thellomerca (talk) 18:56, 5 January 2021 (UTC)
- Madcoverboy (talk) 18:38, 7 January 2021 (UTC)
- Reify-tech (talk) 17:51, 8 January 2021 (UTC)
- janicelp (talk) 15:261, 11 January 2021 (UTC)
- Siankevans (talk) 15:07, 14 January 2021 (UTC)